Cost to install Rough Country leveling kit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

outkastist

Reaction score
I've done the job myself before a couple of times. 5 hrs seems pretty reasonable to me. The only question is whether you can find a shop that would charge less hourly.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea i wanna say i did the fronts in a little less time than that on the ground in my garage. However, they have the rear to contend with as well…

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done the job myself before a couple of times. 5 hrs seems pretty reasonable to me. The only question is whether you can find a shop that would charge less hourly.
I'm sure I could maybe save a little money if I keep looking for indy shops but I don't think it would amount to a huge difference at the end of the day. I'd rather take my chances with a certified GM tech at the dealership trying to install this kit than Joe Blow with who knows what skill level at a random shop. At least the dealer will (I hope) stand behind their work if there's any issues down the road

salisburyv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are definitely thinking the right way. i worked at a few new car dealers. Customer pay they always add at least an hour extra. See, a good tech will charge the 5 and do it in 3. I used to have techs in the building for 10-12 hours , their time cards were 25-30 hrs a day. They easily made 6 figures. I was a service writer, most of the top techs made more than me. But there's usually only 2-3 per shop that hustle like that.

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just happy they are willing to attempt the install. I honestly don't foresee any issues since the suspension systems are identical between yukon/suburban/tahoe but we shall see. A little lift and the ridge grapplers should go a long way in changing the look of mommas new ride. I despise the Continental car tires that came stock on this thing.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just happy they are willing to attempt the install. I honestly don't foresee any issues since the suspension systems are identical between yukon/suburban/tahoe but we shall see. A little lift and the ridge grapplers should go a long way in changing the look of mommas new ride. I despise the Continental car tires that came stock on this thing.
Same here!

The wife couldnt stand the stockers either…perfect, we can fix that! Wanted to go ridge graps for the aggressive aesthetics, but was just a little too worried about winter performance. Went with the at3’s instead for a guaranteed good all around winter tire.

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here!

The wife couldnt stand the stockers either…perfect, we can fix that! Wanted to go ridge graps for the aggressive aesthetics, but was just a little too worried about winter performance. Went with the at3’s instead for a guaranteed good all around winter tire.
I have read the ridge grapplers are not the best in snow but we seldom get much snow where I live. Lots of rain but I find reviews stating that these are terrible in the rain and others saying they're fantastic so I'll have to form my own opinion.

The dealer owes me $750 (minor scratch from one of their techs) and these tires aren't that expensive from the dealer so I'll only be out $350 if I decide they don't perform well in the wet and need to look for something else.

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Leveling kit is on but it's not exactly level. Not bad but it's not level...

pre leveling kit measurements from the ground to bottom of wheel arch:
front 36.5"
rear 37.75"

post leveling kit:
front 38.25"
rear 39"

So it seems this kit has underdelivered in the front and overdelivered in the rear which is maybe why the fine print says it does not fit a gmc. Like they told the parts department it's something to do with the ride height from the factory. 3/4" higher in the rear isn't a terrible result and still leaves a little room for sag when the vehicle is loaded. It was dark when we picked it up so no good pics to share at the minute

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score

front 36.5"
rear 37.75"

post leveling kit:
front 38.25"
rear 39"

So it seems this kit has underdelivered in the front and overdelivered in the rear which is maybe why the fine print says it does not fit a gmc. Like they told the parts department it's something to do with the ride height from the factory. 3/4" higher in the rear isn't a terrible result and still leaves a little room for sag when the vehicle is loaded. It was dark when we picked it up so no good pics to share at the minut

front 36.5"
rear 37.75"

post leveling kit:
front 38.25"
rear 39"

So it seems this kit has underdelivered in the front and overdelivered in the rear which is maybe why the fine print says it does not fit a gmc. Like they told the parts department it's something to do with the ride height from the factory. 3/4" higher in the rear isn't a terrible result and still leaves a little room for sag when the vehicle is loaded. It was dark when we picked it up so no good pics to share at the minute
That would be about satisfactory for me. Little less height in the rear would be better IMO. Is that adjustable…what does the rear lift consist of?

Cant wait to see some pics.

therealbofa

Reaction score

front 36.5"
rear 37.75"

post leveling kit:
front 38.25"
rear 39"

I’m curious if the frame is level and the body just has a little rake in the design. Either way, I don’t mind minimal rake And you gained some much needed clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts