Cost to install Rough Country leveling kit??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long story short, with the help of a friend who works at the local chevy dealer, he has talked their service department into installing the Rough Country 11200 leveling kit on my '21 yukon xl. The same kit they said a week ago they would not install because the fine print says it does not fit a GMC. We have confirmed 100% that gmc premium smooth ride suspension is the exact same premium smooth ride found on a suburban (the vehicle this RC kit is intended for) so there's no question this install will be a success. The question is in the price they quoted me...

$109.95 for the kit
$129.95 for an alignment
$675.00 for the install, 5 hours @$135/hr

So with tax this is going to be nearly $1000 to level my yukon. Am I out of line to think this is bit on the expensive side? It's a front and rear kit so work on both ends but the rough country website has this kit listed as a 2-3 hour install. I suppose maybe the dealer is quoting a couple more hours because technically this kit isn't supposed to go on this vehicle? I know there's a few of you on here with this kit installed, anybody mind sharing a ballpark install price you paid?

All input is welcome and I apologize for posting about the same thing (leveling kits) in multiple different threads, I've just had a hard time finding a definitive answer. Here's a couple pics to illustrate my desire for a leveling kit, and I just spent a long time washing it...

image0.jpegimage1.jpeg

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Sounds like your friend has badgered them into doing something they’re reluctantly taking on. Charging double is their way of pushing back.

And they probably figured out you’re committed so they can charge plenty.

therealbofa

Reaction score
The difference in question is about $270. I’m sure they are gouging you a bit but is it worth your time to take it somewhere else?

TexasTZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I paid $1,800 for 3” level, install and 4 new 33” BFG ATs on my 18 Tahoe and that also included alignment.....the tires were like $1,400+. Your getting gouged on install for a level.

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked my buddy and he's the one that quoted 5 hour install. He says the installs usually take longer than the manufacturer says so that's why he went with 5. Another tire shop also thought it would be about 5 hours to install. The price seems a little steep but I think I'm just gonna have them do it. I really don't have time or the desire to do it myself and it's already going to be at the dealer in about a week for tires and an illumination package so what the heck right?

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddy also asked if I wanted to change tire size at all with the level kit. I had ordered nitto ridge grapplers in stock size

275/60r20 = 33.23" tall by 11" wide for this tire.

But now I'm thinking

275/65r20 = 34.09" tall by 11" wide for this tire.

Anybody have input on these tire dimensions? I'd like the little bit extra height but really don't want to deal with rubbing

Xena_21

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I asked my buddy and he's the one that quoted 5 hour install. He says the installs usually take longer than the manufacturer says so that's why he went with 5. Another tire shop also thought it would be about 5 hours to install. The price seems a little steep but I think I'm just gonna have them do it. I really don't have time or the desire to do it myself and it's already going to be at the dealer in about a week for tires and an illumination package so what the heck right?
Dealerships will always charge more than other shops, plus the tech working on your vehicle will take his/her sweet ass time, to ensure they do not work to hard... thats why 5 hrs. Find a buddy to help and work your but off and sure it will take 3 hrs...

OP
OP
R32driver

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a quote at a smaller independent tire shop and they also quoted 5 hour install only they charge $150/hr so even more than the stealership. Talked to my buddy at NW Chevy this morning and he is ordering the RC kit to be installed next Monday. I also decided against the 34" tires and am sticking with the stock size, but obviously a much more aggressive looking tire.

After giving it some thought I have absolutely zero desire to cut, trim or manipulate any part of this $80k vehicle just to fit a little bit more tire under it. Wife would be pissed if we ended up with rubbing tires. This is the kid hauling grocery getter afterall, not some bad ass off roader. Will probably never see any dirt in all reality other than driving around our farm once in a while.

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I havnt checked everywhere on the wifes stock tahoe with the 305/45/22’s (roughly 33x12), but she was parked in the garage today with the tires cranked with the drivers side turned into the back side of the wheel well and i could not get my fingers between the tire and the fender liner without touching both. She has never heard it rub anywhere, but its definitely darn close.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan