Dealer not honoring warranty work..2018 5.3 Yukon issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did talk to the lemon law attorney, I bought this car as GM company car (ironically) it was titled to GM before me for 4 months. Apparently in pro-business NC it disqualifies me from lemon law claim. I think GM and dealers know that and that is why they are not concerned. This is what Hendrick Service Manager named Rick told me laughing Impertinently to my face - we will drown you in the paperwork, go ahead complain to attorney general, BBB, GM...

I am taking it next week to Charles Boyd Chevy 70 miles away. If they are not willing to fix it, then I am afraid I am out of ideas.

If I only had Lemon Law on my side this truck would have been fixed by now. GM has a special line and contacts for Lemon Law clients and they handle them differently.

I’m going to go out on a limb here, but it appears your car was already a lemon? The title being in GMs name means they probably bought it back from another individual somewhere else. If it was an “executive car”, I don’t think it needs to be titled as it wasn’t actually sold—GM is not going to sell it to themselves! They made the car. They would just take one off the line.

Maybe I’m all wrong, but it sounds as though GM purchased the vehicle back, took it to another state where they could clean up the title, and re-sold to another dealer. And no, GM doesn’t have to fix the vehicle to do this.

Do a search for Steve Lehto. He is a lemon-law attorney in MI with an excellent podcast and good advice. The title in GMs name is seriously suspicious.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow. These theories are getting good.

No. Cars driven by GM employees with distributor tags are titled to GM and they are used vehicles when they are done and sent to the auction.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burnt bridges, not willing to work with the dealer or dealers... what one needs to do? I patiently took the vehicle to dealers three times, just asking them please do troubleshoot, the problem is there, I described the problem on 4 pages as they wanted precise details, I rented cars out of my own money to drive while they troubleshoot, GM or GM dealers do not provide loaners. I have taken vacation days to accommodate schedules that dealers were offering since they are overbooked with work. Not once, I threaten with any actions, even took it for two different second opinion trying to prove that there is a problem with the truck paying for that. Searched for help on forums for a long time. The guys on these forums are just fantastic!
It has been going on for 2.5 months, 3 declines to do warranty work from same dealers even with the documented problem, until there's a code there won't be a repair. I have been asking politely for 2.5 months to fix my truck it is not idling like all other trucks on the lot. Only last week for the first time I filed with BBB, Attorney General, FTC and next week will file with DMV.

I have been dealing with warranty on software that we built over past 10 years, last account was $9M, and the minute the bug is filed by any customer, we jump and fix it, even for customers that paid 9 years ago. We do not differentiate customers that paid $190K or customers that payed $4M.

The truck is in bumper-to-bumper warranty and is 8-months old, I have proven independently by two mechanics that there is a problem with it, but GM and dealers refuse to honor it citing that to GM it is fine. I have logs and misfires details from OBD posted. The written right for warranty does not matter in the United States of America in 2019? Looks like only options are a) suck it up and roll over or b) fight for years wasting money in court. What a great convenience for manufacturers, then GM should state, "minor" defects like rough idle are excluded from warranty, then we will know and repair those minor issues on our own dime. Issue with rough idle has been going on for years, GM sends letters on this topic to select owners, but certainly does not admit the problem widely as it may risk a recall.

I understand that it includes warranty disputes. The problem is the Dealer holds the bond, not GM. GM, who pays the warranty claims is saying it’s not a warranted issue under the warranty that GM issued. The dealer didn’t issue the warranty.

So yes, a claim can be filed against the dealer, or dealers as multiple dealers have given the same answer, but it will be a useless claim since it is out of the dealers hands right now unless you think the dealer should just suck it up and pay for it out of their own pocket and not be reimbursed by GM just to make the customer happy. That is not always good business and the fact that the OP had already soured the relationship with that dealer, I don’t think that is likely. You will spend more in legal fees and time than if you just paid for whatever fix you think needs to be made.

I deal with warranty claims on equipment we build that costs any where from $500,000 to $4,000,000. I get it. A lot of wiggle room sometimes, but at the end of the day it comes down to the contractual requirements. When a customer is willing to work with us in a questionable issue, we are willing to see if we can find a compromise. When a customer appears to be demanding and not willing to work with us, we will hold a pretty firm line. I have authorized over $200,000 of warranty work on something that could be argued as not being warranty because of a good relationship. Sometimes we have customers offer to split the cost. I have also told customers they needed to pay for a $10,000 item because they are not willing to have a discussion or have burnt a bridge in the past.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that it includes warranty disputes. The problem is the Dealer holds the bond, not GM. GM, who pays the warranty claims is saying it’s not a warranted issue under the warranty that GM issued. The dealer didn’t issue the warranty.

So yes, a claim can be filed against the dealer, or dealers as multiple dealers have given the same answer, but it will be a useless claim since it is out of the dealers hands right now unless you think the dealer should just suck it up and pay for it out of their own pocket and not be reimbursed by GM just to make the customer happy. That is not always good business and the fact that the OP had already soured the relationship with that dealer, I don’t think that is likely. You will spend more in legal fees and time than if you just paid for whatever fix you think needs to be made.

I deal with warranty claims on equipment we build that costs any where from $500,000 to $4,000,000. I get it. A lot of wiggle room sometimes, but at the end of the day it comes down to the contractual requirements. When a customer is willing to work with us in a questionable issue, we are willing to see if we can find a compromise. When a customer appears to be demanding and not willing to work with us, we will hold a pretty firm line. I have authorized over $200,000 of warranty work on something that could be argued as not being warranty because of a good relationship. Sometimes we have customers offer to split the cost. I have also told customers they needed to pay for a $10,000 item because they are not willing to have a discussion or have burnt a bridge in the past.
it's a small claims matter it's only $120 or so for a filing fee.. it's pretty clear GM is not interested in the honoring the warranty.. since he did have it checked out by a 3rd party which did indicate an issue... also i would not trust dealerships.. a sales person at a chevy stabbed me with a pen before..

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
it's a small claims matter it's only $120 or so for a filing fee.. it's pretty clear GM is not interested in the honoring the warranty.. since he did have it checked out by a 3rd party which did indicate an issue... also i would not trust dealerships.. a sales person at a chevy stabbed me with a pen before..
Like on the stabbing with a pen!

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are not theories and there is no conspiracy, it is a proven and documented fact according to North Carolina Consumer Council, and NCCC are not known to be liars or cheats... https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles-eg/should-carfax-reports-always-be-trusted.html

*****From their website*****
Despite the vast number of resources available, CARFAX vehicle history reports should not be considered completely reliable. In fact, we have found major problems with some CARFAX vehicle history reports. Since CARFAX relies on information that is reported to the company, anything that doesn't get reported either to the company or to any of its data sources won't show up in the report. We ordered a report on a vehicle that had extensive collision work five times but was listed only as having a minor collision. In another case, four other vehicles were bought back by the manufacturers as 'lemons' under the North Carolina Lemon Law. These vehicles showed clean CARFAX reports and all showed up on local dealer lots as 'local trades.'

Wow. These theories are getting good.

No. Cars driven by GM employees with distributor tags are titled to GM and they are used vehicles when they are done and sent to the auction.

Last edited:

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should look up the definition of a theory because unless you have proof that happened to your vehicle then a theory is exactly what it is. GM is not going to go through the trouble to “clean” a title. They don’t care. Someone will buy it at auction.

There are many ways a vehicle can be bought back not just from the manufacturer. Carfax is only as good as the information reported to them and there are plenty of shops and jurisdictions who don’t report.

My advice is just trade it in and move on. You’re not going to be happy with the vehicle and none of us are there to feel it. Three different dealers have told you there isn’t anything wrong with it and they don’t get paid a dime to tell you there’s nothing wrong with it so they have everything to gain by fixing it if it is broken.

OP
OP
S

smokey_mountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While your point is rational, it is easier said than done, we saved up as a family for 3 years to buy our first "premium" vehicle - this Yukon, we are raising 4 boys, money matters. If I am to trade it in I would loose close to $10K after owning it just for 3 months, who knew that GM vehicles lose so much value on trade-ins. Two dealers told me there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, two independent reputable mechanics told me there is and plus 10+ misfires in $06 monitors on every ride.

Story with dealers is that they are only get paid if there are codes, no codes - stop troubleshooting per GM financial policy. This is exactly what one of the dealers told me "we cannot continue troubleshooting if there are no codes". There are dealers that are willing to do it on their own dime, but neither of the two that I met were at all interested. Will try Charles Boyd this Wed, they are known for their customer support. If they say no issues, then I would accept and move on, until then huge thank you to folks here that really cared to help me!

You should look up the definition of a theory because unless you have proof that happened to your vehicle then a theory is exactly what it is. GM is not going to go through the trouble to “clean” a title. They don’t care. Someone will buy it at auction.

There are many ways a vehicle can be bought back not just from the manufacturer. Carfax is only as good as the information reported to them and there are plenty of shops and jurisdictions who don’t report.

My advice is just trade it in and move on. You’re not going to be happy with the vehicle and none of us are there to feel it. Three different dealers have told you there isn’t anything wrong with it and they don’t get paid a dime to tell you there’s nothing wrong with it so they have everything to gain by fixing it if it is broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.