Damn Squrrels!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
543e9705-b9f2-450d-b762-19b2c3c4a41b-jpeg.261224
What’s up folks!!?? I have a p0302 code, stabilitrak and flashing engine light on my 2011 Tahoe. Checked the #2 coil, no sparks, bought a coil and planned to replace it. Opened the engine cover and the wires were chewed right through. Now my dilemma is do I change the wire harness for all the coils on that side ( their sold as one piece with 4 wires) or just the one wire/coil . Any info would be great!! Also, how the hell do you get to the wire harness??!! I included a pic....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No pic opens up and I would do all on one side.

Welcome to the forum from Oregon, after all this time.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Squirrels love wiring insulation. Not sure about rats. Here in the PNW there are nutria that get in there too.

79jasper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try fixing that one by itself.
A buddy's dad had a beaver get wires in their cobalt ss.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen several rat nests in engines over the years. They will chew anything and everything up. I saw one that got a little crispy when it chewed through a wire harness and I can tell you it didn’t smell like chicken.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dead rats have a smell all their own, cooked or otherwise. Very distinctive smell. And they love to eat wire insulation and just about anything else they can get their jaws around. Put a block of poison out, with a smudge of peanut butter on it, and watch them disappear! Disgusting little varmints.

Tinlizard

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Had the same issue with squirrels. Replacing the wiring just for the single injector worked fine for me, that was two years ago and it still runs great. I simply spliced in new wires.
As to the squirrel issue, I bought some pepper spray varmint deterrent at home Depot and gave all of the exposed wires a good dose. No more squirrel problem - just remember to wear gloves when working on the engine from now on.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can climb up into the engine bay in seconds. I used to park my other truck outside for a few years and when I would open the hood to add fluids I could see little foot prints.