Cutting my tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
Been riding around with the drop for a couple weeks now..

When I gotta make a U-turn or pull into a parking lot.. I sometimes hear a good bit of rub..

My drivers side front tire is getting cut right on the edge of the tread. It's taken out almost a 1/4 inch in some spots. Since my tires are flush with the outside metal fender, when I compress up front, the drivers side dosn't quite tuck into the fender well. The metal lip catches the very edge of the tread..

I need to roll my fenders up front for sure.. who's got experience doing this?

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
Hmm.... You can't roll the fronts, the inside of the fender well in solid. On mine there is no "lip" to roll. I rub bad against my firewall, I have rubbed a hole straight through the liner and the firewall, a small hole. Are you sure it's not the plastic liner? I had to trim mine up quite a bit. You vould hypothetically roll your front fenders if you did some cutting, just not with a roller tool. About 3/4 of the rear can be rolled, from the door back pretty much. I'm gonna guess, cause I don't know for sure, but if something metal is cutting your front wheels it's out of the ordinary. I'd get the wheel off and have a good look at the top of your fender well and tap any sharp edges back with a ball hammer. I have the same problem up front but no cutting just rubbing when I hit a driveway wrong.

OP
OP
titanium02

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
I know for sure there's an edge that's jacking my tire up. The metal lip is dented towards the tire right at the top of the arch..

I didn't know you couldn't roll the fronts..

My rears are good, and my pass. side is good too. I'm just taking a significant amount of rubber out of the corner of the tread.. Scares the **** outta me.

Thanks for then info.. i'm gonna pull my wheel off and see what I can do to knock that dent upwads.

I also rub my plastic fenders by the firewall pretty good on both sides.. it took a little chunk out of the plastic on the pass. side.

How much rub is bad? I'll post pics tomorrow of my situations.. on duty today

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
Word up.... Yeah, just pull your wheels and get at it with a hammer and smooth out the rough edges. As far as rubbing the plastic on turns and such, rubbing the plastic liner is not an issue. Your tire will wear the plastic away but when you pull your wheels look where the rub marks are and trim them off or you can heat up the plastic liner with a heat gun and manipulate it. As long as you not rubbing all the time, while driving straight, or rubbing sharp edges I don't think it's an issue.... just part of rollin low. When I back up with my wheels turned hard left it sounds like a bicycle with a baseball card in the spokes, my wife hates it. Oh, I also took black zip ties and tied back the fender liner in spots and that helped, it definitely helps to pull the wheel after you've been driving a week or two to see where your rubbing.........i did't think my fronts hit at all unt I pulled my wheels off and all the paint was rubbed off the inside of the fender lip.

OP
OP
titanium02

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
+1 thanks a ton bro! good post.

I snapped some pics... I gotta get it fixed :nono: :(

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 45
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 45
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 44
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 44
  • photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 48

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell in the pics but if that is an edge in the inner part of your fender well, you gotta take care of that asap for sure!! I think I see the part of the tread that you say is getting chunked up and filed off and that is indeed a bad thing! Get some vice grips and carefully clamp and roll up the edges of the fender well (just the outer sharp edge of the lip, wouldn't have to be the whole thing), that is a big problem waiting to happen at the wrong time!

Also, have you measured the left and right front sides to see if they are the same from the ground and the tire, almost sounds like the left is a tad lower or is it catching more of the front or the back side of the fender?

OP
OP
titanium02

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
Hard to tell in the pics but if that is an edge in the inner part of your fender well, you gotta take care of that asap for sure!! I think I see the part of the tread that you say is getting chunked up and filed off and that is indeed a bad thing! Get some vice grips and carefully clamp and roll up the edges of the fender well (just the outer sharp edge of the lip, wouldn't have to be the whole thing), that is a big problem waiting to happen at the wrong time!

Also, have you measured the left and right front sides to see if they are the same from the ground and the tire, almost sounds like the left is a tad lower or is it catching more of the front or the back side of the fender?

My tires are 32" tall..

From ground to fender:

LF - 34"
RF - 33 1/2"

RR - 34 1/4"
LR - 34 1/8"

My drivers side sits higher w/o me in it.. yet the pass side dosn't rub as bad. It goes down about 3/4" with me in it

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your drivers side is taller but you are still cutting the tire? Must be cutting on the sides of the fender then?

OP
OP
titanium02

titanium02

w7's or bust.
Reaction score
So your drivers side is taller but you are still cutting the tire? Must be cutting on the sides of the fender then?

with +30 offset on 305/35/24's.. I'm flush with the fender. It's the metal lip that juts inward towards the tire.. i just need to manipulate it away from the tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo