2013 20" Stock to a 2015-2020 22" Stock Tire/Rim Set-Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MissyRoseTahoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi: I see that there are varying opinions on tires rubbing the fender well after a switch from a stock 20” Tahoe to a stock GM 22” set-up; Any additional input would be appreciated…

I have a 2013 Tahoe with the stock rim set up: 20x8.5 et31 and a 275/55/r20 tire. The rims and tires are looking a bit small, nowadays, when compared to the newer Tahoes and Yukons; so, I’m looking into getting the following set-up: stock 2015-2020 Yukon 22x9 et24 and a 285/45/r22 tire

Does anyone have experience with a 2007-2014 Tahoe, after switching to the stock GM/Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade 22x9 et24 285/45/r22 where any of the tires rub the inner fender well when driving/turning…? Assuming the rim will bolt up fine…

Thank you.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Aspect ratio of the tires, 50/60/70 series etc and rim backspacing are the main two factors. With OEM rims the backspacing really doesn’t come into play unless your running a Non OEM big brake kit.

Use the tire size comparison calculator below to ensure your tires are not exceeding the limits of what your currently running.

Just for FYI the biggest 22” rim/tire combo GM used on the NNBS was 08-14 Platinum Esky.
285 45 22 tire & rim is 22x9 et 31 with a 78.1 center bore.

The calculator / info page below is even more comprehensive. It shows OEM wheel & rim size from 99-2024 and a comparison tool.

OP
OP
MissyRoseTahoo

MissyRoseTahoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Using the tire parameters in my original post, interestingly, the calculator results in the following:

The top of the tire to the fender well is: 0.1" Closer
The inner sidewall to the suspension and frame is: 0.08" Farther Away
The outer sidewall is: 0.48" Farther Out

From the calculator variances above, it does not appear the resulting differences would result in any noticeable change (especially rubbing), especially since the inner sidewall is further away; however, some have claimed, in their posts, that the rim will bolt on but the tire will rub, at times--some say the tire will not rub. Might need to buy a used rim and tire to test it out at each corner.

Thanks.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You ever think about going to a 60 series tire with the 20s? It will fill up gap nicely

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be fine with the 285/45x22 tire size, but as @petethepug stated, make sure that the offset on the 22" rim that you purchase is about the same as the offset for your current rims.

OP
OP
MissyRoseTahoo

MissyRoseTahoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@blackelky
That's a thought (60 series), if we were to keep the stock 20's...I did the calculation and it adds an inch to the diameter and puts the top of the tire about a 1/2 inch closer to the upper fender well--no other dimension changes. Would like to minimize, though, the rubber in the profile to avoid a large sidewall appearance, like that of the tire on an 18" stock Tahoe rim.

OP
OP
MissyRoseTahoo

MissyRoseTahoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Joseph Garcia

Am interested in the following Yukon/Escalade rim: 19301161

According to the GM specs, the offset of the stock Tahoe 5 spoke 20" in 2013 is 31et, and for the above 22" rim, it's 24et. The calculator puts the difference of the setups at the following:

The top of the tire to the fender well is: 0.1" Closer
The inner sidewall to the suspension and frame is: 0.08" Farther Away
The outer sidewall is: 0.48" Farther Out

You're probably correct that it will be fine; In their posts, though, some folks mention the tire rubs when turning (or in reverse, for some reason) while others say no. If the calculator is correct, am curious as to how/why some folks claim the tires are rubbing against the fender well...wondering if it might be a tire size difference resulting in the experiences when folks have switched from stock 20"s to stock 22"s

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@blackelky
That's a thought (60 series), if we were to keep the stock 20's...I did the calculation and it adds an inch to the diameter and puts the top of the tire about a 1/2 inch closer to the upper fender well--no other dimension changes. Would like to minimize, though, the rubber in the profile to avoid a large sidewall appearance, like that of the tire on an 18" stock Tahoe rim.
Ahh i thought you were just trying to fill in the fenderwell gap. 22s might ride better in the newer tahoes with the updated suspension. 22s will probably fit but I had to level mine in the front to accommodate a 33 inch tire size. My new wheels are 24 offset and that part is fine. I have the 2022 silverado trailboss wheels on my tahoe.

OP
OP
MissyRoseTahoo

MissyRoseTahoo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ahh i thought you were just trying to fill in the fenderwell gap. 22s might ride better in the newer tahoes with the updated suspension. 22s will probably fit but I had to level mine in the front to accommodate a 33 inch tire size. My new wheels are 24 offset and that part is fine. I have the 2022 silverado trailboss wheels on my tahoe.
Per your profile, 2012 Tahoe...? What size tires do you have on the Tahoe...? Are the Trailboss rims 22"'s...?

Interestingly, I just put new Monroe's on the front and kept the AC Delco in the rear. The shop couldn't get the AC Delco's for the front and the rake disappeared. The car came sloped/raked from the factory (bought it new), and the Monroe's leveled it out; so, I have even more clearance, up front. The picture in my profile shows how level it is, now.

Thanks.

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Per your profile, 2012 Tahoe...? What size tires do you have on the Tahoe...? Are the Trailboss rims 22"'s...?

Interestingly, I just put new Monroe's on the front and kept the AC Delco in the rear. The shop couldn't get the AC Delco's for the front and the rake disappeared. The car came sloped/raked from the factory (bought it new), and the Monroe's leveled it out; so, I have even more clearance, up front. The picture in my profile shows how level it is, now.

Thanks.
The measurements are the same as far as height clearance. How old are those coilovers? Have they settled out yet?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts