Custom paint ideas? Black & Grey Off road / Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody: I've moved this to another post as the topic for my work has changed a bit. If you're interested in following my paint prep you can see that here:

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/paint-prep-body-work-tips.114003/

As far as what I chose for paint... Basically the same color however, a TAD bit lighter black. It's from PPG Omni line. The black they spec is a bit lighter than the Jet Black spec'ed by GM for the Tahoe. I'm hoping it's close enough that I don't have to paint the door jams, but I'm disassembling the truck to paint it, one panel at a time.

SteveB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the glass shop cut the window out if you really want it out. Prep the whole panel with 320 , there is no need to apply base to whole panel unless it has a bunch of scratches or paint chips in it. Feather out the clear coat is there is no edge felt going to the good surface beyond the flaking clear. As for the z71 badge did you get new ones?

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have the glass shop cut the window out if you really want it out. Prep the whole panel with 320 , there is no need to apply base to whole panel unless it has a bunch of scratches or paint chips in it. Feather out the clear coat is there is no edge felt going to the good surface beyond the flaking clear. As for the z71 badge did you get new ones?
Got new Z71 badges :) was super excited to find a new GM authentic set on ebay for cheap.

I was curious about blending in the panels. Some of the paint is still really good. However, I think new color is slightly different :(

Guy at paint shop said was much cheaper that way as jet black was an expensive color but this from OMNI was pretty close and didnt requre a custom mix. Plus I want the truck to be a shade lighter.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
a4b976329c9cf33ffc1984e89de28ccd.jpg

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have arrived at some detail work that I really like for when I finish off the paint work. My friends bought a Jeep Cherokee. I love their paint job. It's black with reflective flake in the clear coat. Then they have dark gray matte / flat finish accent on the hood (similar to picture below). I noticed some other models extend that accent up the roof. I should have taken a picture of their jeep but didn't think of it at the time. This is the closest I could find (it's white demonstrates the detail on the hood and trim at bottom of doors). I'll be painting bottom of doors, possibly roof rack area with raptor liner as well in gray accent color.

One thing I'm a bit sorted on but want to include is a drone landing pad. Sometimes I don't have anywhere to land my drone for work. Many times I land it on the truck. The auto pilot lands much better (should I use it) if there is a pattern it can pickup on the roof.

e41178227252e4802c6bdb01fc778be1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nyc2011Denali

Latest posts