Is better on-road handling possible without losing Z71's off-road capability?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, it's one thing to know that it's a Tahoe Z71, not a Tahoe PPV / Tahoe Limited, and certainly not a Caprice 9C1 / PPV ... on paper.
It's quite another to drive this truck, and kinaesthetically notice its reluctance to assertive lane changes & 'threading needles' in traffic compared to my old Caprices.

But there's more to it than the extra 1500lb and the ride height.

Already mentioned that I'm interested in UPGRADING, not merely maintaining / replacing the following:
#1: Jounce cushions have disintegrated ... if at all possible I'd like to find upgrades
#2: Bilstein 5100 seems like an upgrade over the 4600, which is exactly how I like it
#3: Hellwig or Nolathane swaybars ... unless I find another trusted respected brand of kit.

The day I test drove the Z71, it had snowed A LOT, which demonstrated the advantages of the Z71's higher center of gravity.
Before I lower it - which seems somehow easier to get wrong than #1 #2 & #3 above - I want to try those upgrades first.

For whatever it's worth, I already lowered it a lil bit - see my sig.
Surprisingly, ride quality didn't get any worse, except for the occasionally horrible road.

Long story short, I'm not yet ready to lower it; that needs (for me at least) MORE research.
this makes me wonder if someone had previously lifted it or adjusted the keys up, this results in poor handling if not done correctly.
you shouldn't be having dog tail wag simply because it sits a little higher.
maybe post up some pictures of the keys and bolt adjustment
also how is the steering? the steering boxes on the gmt800's wear out and you end up with a bit of play

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... makes me wonder if someone had previously lifted it or adjusted the keys up, this results in poor handling if not done correctly.
you shouldn't be having dog tail wag simply because it sits a little higher.
I'll go check with some trusted mechs to answer this question.
how is the steering? gmt800 steering boxes wear out and you end up with a bit of play
Almost no doubt the steering box is as old as the truck. Has it been adjusted / tightened?
Another good question to get answered by some trusted mechs.

Some of my complaint stems from the fact that 3 of my previous cars were Caprice 9C1s with LT1s
(spec'd by GM from go to handle surprisingly well at higher speeds)
The other was a Fleetwood that drove like a waterbed til I modded it w/ 9C1-spec suspension bits.

That being the case, @NORCAL SS may be the person to consult.

Ssober

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Replace the wore out parts first. The bilstein 5100 was a huge difference. Get the new bump stops. If yours are rotten stuff anything new in there. I bet sway bar bushings are not great so might replace that also. Someone said tighten steering box that might do good also. Do the cheap stuff first then look into the swaybar and tires.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shock dampers are wore out, plan to replace those with Bilstein 5100s.
Replaced MISSING jounce bumpers with OE for an '02 Tahoe. Disappointed.
Hoped for some kind of upgrade; OE for something heavier, like a 2500 or 3500?
Swaybar bushings and links are still good, replaced just before I bought the vehicle.

Was hoping for other OE options, like OE PPV / SSV suspension / steering parts.
I get that most 2500 / 3500 suspension and steering are inherently incompatible with the 1500 frame.
Will be researching Hummer H2 rear swaybar adaptation,
may cost less than Helwig / Nolathane swaybars.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also look at Sumo springs for bump stops. They’re a little pricey but eliminate rear sag from towing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar