Custom intake help (pic request)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleepr

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm working on freeing up the bottle neck intake on my Hoe, so far I have removed the silencer box and capped it and I have a K&N filter that fits where the stock one goes, but my question is should I leave the new open cone in the airbox to pull cooler fender air in or leave the top of the box and call it good?

Can anyone show me pics of their intake setup? Mine should be done soon and I'll post some pics

Thanks!

Blair

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I'm with Jaycenk... leaving the top off the box will draw hot air from the engine (plus more dirt).

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my plan when I do mine is to rout it back in to the factory box and just add another opening at the front part of the box to suck from the fender just like does at the back of the factory box, Or maybe it's vice versa lol don't remember.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys, but I have to disagree with you.

I've got the same setup. Silence box delete/K&N drop in filter. I removed the top of the box, and I couldn't be happier.

See my thread about it HERE.

I've been running like that for almost a year. There has been no issues at all about dirt, leaves or mice or birds or whatever else I was told would nest in there, or clog it up. Nothing bad has happened at all.

As far as heat soak goes???? Who cares? Look at my thread, only a few more degrees hotter at idle and when the truck is moving, the temps drop to ambient air temps. Heat soak is not relevent, just a gimmick to have you spend more $$$...In my real world opinion.

As far as performance goes? I subscribe to the 'more air is better' theory. The true CAI kits from Volant and K&N replace the sideways OEM GM tophat with a better rounded tophat that gives ~4% better airflow. But is 4% really worth spending $300?
I still maintain that the K&N drop in filter, remove the top of the filter box and silencer box delete is the best CAI mod you can perform for as little $$$.

I say go for it!!! Pull the top off.

EDIT: Pics of mine HERE and HERE.

OP
OP
sleepr

sleepr

Reaction score
so i just finished reading 99yuk's cai post, and i have a question, should I just leave the top off? I don't really want to cut it up, But I do like the testing you've done on temperature readings, good info,

How did the ported TB work out?

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i just finished reading 99yuk's cai post, and i have a question, should I just leave the top off? I don't really want to cut it up, But I do like the testing you've done on temperature readings, good info,

How did the ported TB work out?

Just leave the top off... Don't bother with the swiss cheese mod at all. I did and it was a waste of time/effort...

Thanks for letting me know that someone was helped by the temp testing! We are all here to help!

HERE is the thread about how/why I bought the ported TB.

I have to say that I still like it. On it's own, it may not do very much, and the $$$ may be steep. However, combine that ported tb with the K&N drop in filter, silence box delete, take the top off your airbox, and a better more free flowing exhaust and it all adds up to kick your butt!

I will be doing my exhaust this spring/summer! I can't wait!

The name of the game is get more air in and out of your motor! Anything that you can do along the entire air path towards that goal is going to help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84