Cracked Oil Pan - What are the implications?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an oil change done at the shop and mechanic showed me how oil is seeping out and around due to a cracked oil pan. I'm seeing no drips/drops on my garage floor, and seeing no noticeable drop in oil pressure.

What are the implications of doing nothing?

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a pic???

Any idea how this could have happened?

I should have taken a pic when he walked me under the truck while it was on a lift. No obviously visible crack but definitely a film of oil covering the back portion of the pan.

This is the second time this shop has called this out. I doubted it the first time, which was about a year ago, mainly because there has never been a single drop of oil on my garage floor. I haven't been able to detect any oil loss whenever I check my oil level. I'm just wondering if I'm playing with fire by ignoring it.

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I failed to think of taking pics. See post #4

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im willing to bet it's your rear main seal. Haven't heard of any oil pans being cracked. If the film is at the top of the oil pan it isn't a cracked pan, pan gasket or rear main seal is my guess.

I would clean the area up and wait to see where the oil forms.. if it is cracked just replace it..it will only get worse

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im willing to bet it's your rear main seal. Haven't heard of any oil pans being cracked. If the film is at the top of the oil pan it isn't a cracked pan, pan gasket or rear main seal is my guess.

I would clean the area up and wait to see where the oil forms.. if it is cracked just replace it..it will only get worse.

What's interesting is that the mechanic stated firmly that it is NOT the rear main seal. He seems convinced it's a cracked oil pan.

Service advisor threw out a number close to a grand to replace it. Seems crazy high, but I've never dealt with a cracked oil pan and I have no idea how much labor it is to access & replace.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
As of right now this is the worst case of he said she said

<1000 is a wee bit on the high side, but not necessarily unreasonable depending on parts used and shop labor rates in your area.

It's 3.5 hours labor. Plus the pan. Plus gaskets. Plus fluid, filter.

Depending on how your exhaust is set up, that might add some labor time too.

Am I right to read that throwing out a number implies ball parking based on previous experience rather than an itemized quote?

OP
OP
08HoeCD

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Service advisor offered a verbal quote of $930. I'll get an itemized quote for clear reference.

Looks like I've got some decisions to make.