Coolant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I had my own suspicions too lol but the discussion is good and I am convinced and compelled to try the new dex cool in my Tahoe.

I went for it, too.

Personally, I believe that the G-05 is a better coolant overall. I switched my 3.8L Buicks over, but it required a lot of flushing with distilled water. Depending on how much work Brady wants to do, and how concerned he is about Dexcool, he could switch to G-05, or leave it with Dexcool as we don't have the same issues with the intake manifold gasket.

While I think G-05 is better, I have better things to do than switch my Tahoe over to G-05.

Obviously, you're the real chemical guy here (edited my earlier post to reflect your correction, lol) not me, so what makes the Zerex better? I'm aware of hydrolysis reactions between hydrogen and say, bromine or chlorine to create acids and using something like butylene oxide as a stabilizer, but oxidizing seems like a huge problem for a coolant, as history has clearly shown. Do you know what GM changed in their formula to fix it?

Last edited:

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My old Fusion used G-05, but one thing I don't like about it is the lack of color. Hard to tell from looking at it (by sight) if it's not mostly water. You're not going to miss Dex-Cool's vibrant color.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went for it, too.

Obviously, you're the real chemical guy here (edited my earlier post to reflect his correction, lol) not me, so what makes the Zerex better? I'm aware of hydrolysis reactions between hydrogen and say, bromine or chlorine to create acids and using something like butylene oxide as a stabilizer, but oxidizing seems like a huge problem for a coolant, as history has clearly shown. Do you know what GM changed in their formula to fix it?

When organic molecules oxidize, they become acids, and in some cases you can get polymerization which can make sludge. Dexcool uses organic buffers designed to maintain a pH of about 8 or 9 (basic). When air gets introduced into the system, the organic buffers can become "used up", but the organic molecules still exist and raise the acidity level.

The HOAT that Honda and Ford have uses a combination of organic and inorganic buffers. Ford and Honda seem to be very secretive about how they make their buffers. It is pretty much left to "inorganic and organic buffers".

When I had a cracked head and coolant leaked into the oil, the water portion was removed through the PCV as expected. The organic buffers caused polymerization reactions which sludged my oil. In vehicles that use HOAT, I believe they don't sludge, but I could be wrong.

All manufacturers have been using nylon intake manifold gaskets. GM with the Dexcool was the only one that had major gasket failures. All coolants will go acidic over time. It seemed that if air mixed with the Dexcool, that process was accelerated.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When organic molecules oxidize, they become acids, and in some cases you can get polymerization which can make sludge. Dexcool uses organic buffers designed to maintain a pH of about 8 or 9 (basic). When air gets introduced into the system, the organic buffers can become "used up", but the organic molecules still exist and raise the acidity level.

The HOAT that Honda and Ford have uses a combination of organic and inorganic buffers. Ford and Honda seem to be very secretive about how they make their buffers. It is pretty much left to "inorganic and organic buffers".

When I had a cracked head and coolant leaked into the oil, the water portion was removed through the PCV as expected. The organic buffers caused polymerization reactions which sludged my oil. In vehicles that use HOAT, I believe they don't sludge, but I could be wrong.

All manufacturers have been using nylon intake manifold gaskets. GM with the Dexcool was the only one that had major gasket failures. All coolants will go acidic over time. It seemed that if air mixed with the Dexcool, that process was accelerated.
This Guy knows his Coolant.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Don't give me too much credit... my work was breaking up amide bonds, not much to do with coolant.

Seeing as none of us know what that means, please see below:

This Guy knows his Coolant.

Now please go get your lab coat and make us a coolant that is free and lasts forever. If you could also please synthesize the color "Chevy" to use for it, we would be eternally grateful.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Now please go get your lab coat and make us a coolant that is free and lasts forever. If you could also please synthesize the color "Chevy" to use for it, we would be eternally grateful.

I know I would be grateful. But hell, when you get my age, you are grateful just to get up and be another day above dirt.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I see a premise for a show called “Breaking Bad 2 - The Search for Coolant”

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see a premise for a show called “Breaking Bad 2 - The Search for Coolant”

That one's simple. Rolaids. That's the secret automakers didn't want us to know.

(Just kidding... I have to add that. I saw a Youtube video about "Winter Air for tires". It was a spoof, a complete spoof. Some guys actually went to a parts counter to ask for "Winter Air" for their tires. Sad. Just sad.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645