Converting back the Z55 Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't even remember how I got to these shocks on eBay today, but when I saw this thread, I thought I should pass it along.

For my own part, I wouldn't put anything other than OE shocks back in, but maybe if you are feeling adventurous...

Fakes with resistor caps. Good price for anyone deleting the Z55, but keeping the air ride.

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got em!

Wasnt planning on going today. But I needed a steering column small part for the Esky, and they had an Esky with the Z55. The front 2 have about 6 inchs of extra wire, where it goes into the bigger loom. And the rears have probly 12 inchs or more of wire and air tube, where it goes into the bigger loom.

I still cant believe they charged me 5 bucks for each connector, but.. What you gonna do?

I cant imagine shipping charges are going to be much. They should fit into one of those small USPS If it fits it ships boxes.

Let me know!

Super news!!!

I just PM'd you with the shipping information.

This is just another example of how this Forum AND its members rock!!!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't even remember how I got to these shocks on eBay today, but when I saw this thread, I thought I should pass it along.

For my own part, I wouldn't put anything other than OE shocks back in, but maybe if you are feeling adventurous...

I’m just gonna throw this out.... if it’s cheap and seems too good to be true.... it usually is... I’ve been there and done that with the cheaply priced replacement air shocks and it’s so not worth it. They were cheap Chinese knock offs that didn’t last a year.... they were pathetic. I have since invested in arnott shocks and couldn’t be happier. I can’t say this enough but don’t trust the cheap offerings on fleabay.....

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m just gonna throw this out.... if it’s cheap and seems too good to be true.... it usually is... I’ve been there and done that with the cheaply priced replacement air shocks and it’s so not worth it. They were cheap Chinese knock offs that didn’t last a year.... they were pathetic. I have since invested in arnott shocks and couldn’t be happier. I can’t say this enough but don’t trust the cheap offerings on fleabay.....
Totally agree, that is why is said if you are feeling adventurous...

I have had good luck with the OE units. I got almost 100K out of my first set and so far so good on the current ones. I love the auto level option and the way the autoride shocks work has served me well for the last 14 years, so for me, the OE units are worth it. In the grand scheme of owning one of these full sized trucks, kind of small potatoes.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Totally agree, that is why is said if you are feeling adventurous...

I have had good luck with the OE units. I got almost 100K out of my first set and so far so good on the current ones. I love the auto level option and the way the autoride shocks work has served me well for the last 14 years, so for me, the OE units are worth it. In the grand scheme of owning one of these full sized trucks, kind of small potatoes.
I agree that the OE units are worth their price tag and they’re functionality. I love the auto leveling function. Works wonders when towing. Had the funds been available when I needed to replace I would have gone OE. But that was not the case, but I also had the chance to buy a very gently used set of arnott rear and OEM front auto ride shocks for my ride last year from another member here for an insanely good deal and I just couldn’t pass it up. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completed the replacement of the compressor, the rear shocks and the rear springs. I connected the air shocks to the compressor, but I did not connect the electrical connectors to the shocks, as I am awaiting receipt of a salvage set of electrical connectors. All went relatively smoothly, and I did not get the opportunity to invent many new swear words.

When I started the truck, though, it threw a bunch of DTC codes, with the ABS light being the most unexpected code. I diagnosed it with my Tech 2, and I narrowed it down to the rear driver's side wheel. So, I jacked up the truck and pulled off the wheel, and I found that the ABS connector on the frame had become disconnected somehow from the wire running to the wheel hub. Once I reconnected it, all the trouble codes went away.

I then used my Tech 2 to re-set the automatic level control trim on the truck.

Next week, the front suspension components will be installed.

So far, so good.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I completed the replacement of the compressor, the rear shocks and the rear springs. I connected the air shocks to the compressor, but I did not connect the electrical connectors to the shocks, as I am awaiting receipt of a salvage set of electrical connectors. All went relatively smoothly, and I did not get the opportunity to invent many new swear words.

When I started the truck, though, it threw a bunch of DTC codes, with the ABS light being the most unexpected code. I diagnosed it with my Tech 2, and I narrowed it down to the rear driver's side wheel. So, I jacked up the truck and pulled off the wheel, and I found that the ABS connector on the frame had become disconnected somehow from the wire running to the wheel hub. Once I reconnected it, all the trouble codes went away.

I then used my Tech 2 to re-set the automatic level control trim on the truck.

Next week, the front suspension components will be installed.

So far, so good.

Looking forward to the new updates. Pesky connectors :mad:
I had the same pesky connector give me trouble too.