Converting back the Z55 Air Ride Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you care to elaborate on the failures you are speaking of?

Mostly failure of the airbag attachment points, the airbags didn't blow or leak out just when you lifted the truck the top mount didn't stay and was pulling tight on the wiring and air lines. I've also seen one where the upper mount to the frame came completely apart and the shock beat the hell out of the aux. heater/ac pipes and caused a leak. The rebuilt OEM ones might be ok but if you buy new then everything is new. The OEM parts lasted 10+ years, what are you really saving? Replace them once and be DONE.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Mostly failure of the airbag attachment points, the airbags didn't blow or leak out just when you lifted the truck the top mount didn't stay and was pulling tight on the wiring and air lines. I've also seen one where the upper mount to the frame came completely apart and the shock beat the hell out of the aux. heater/ac pipes and caused a leak. The rebuilt OEM ones might be ok but if you buy new then everything is new. The OEM parts lasted 10+ years, what are you really saving? Replace them once and be DONE.
Good points. I have a set of the Arnott remans and am hopeful they will serve me well. Several other members here have been running them for a while too. Fingers crossed.

Reaction score
The front struts I would go OEM.

The rear air shocks are so easy to get to and change out quickly. The lifetime warranty on the Arnott remans won my vote.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I scored a set of virtually brand new rear arnott shocks and OEM front auto ride shocks for my 2006 Z55 setup from another member about two years ago, I think august makes two years they’ve been in the truck, towing, back and forth on several road trips and daily driving with all my detail gear in the back and the arnott shocks have not given any problems since. I’ll vouch for the arnotts lol.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best place for the rears are the arnotts on RockAuto its like 200 each then u get back $50 for the core and the fronts I don't remember seeing them any cheaper than 300 each but you would need your rpo code for what springs you have to get the correct part

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best place for the rears are the arnotts on RockAuto its like 200 each then u get back $50 for the core and the fronts I don't remember seeing them any cheaper than 300 each but you would need your rpo code for what springs you have to get the correct part

and the only 2 companies that sell the correct one are acdelco and Monroe. arnott doesn't make z55 front shocks. they are all conversions

OP
OP
Joseph Garcia

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What progress have you made @Joseph Garcia?

Still researching my options and associated costs.

At this point, however, I am leaning toward restoring only the auto-leveling portion of the Z55 suspension by using air shocks in the rear, as the total cost to fully restore the full Z55 suspension (electronic and air), using GM OEM parts, including front struts, rear air shocks, compressor, and control module, will probably exceed $3500, and this assumes that the height rods and wheel sensors are all still on the truck and fully operational. I simply cannot justify spending that amount of money on this truck for this specific work, as I do not believe that the incremental improved handling from the electronic portion of the Z55 suspension would be worth the incremental level of investment to include it.

For restoring the auto-leveling by replacing the front strut assemblies with new strut assemblies and replacing the current coil-over rear shocks with rear air shocks, and a new compressor and control module, I am currently looking at front strut assemblies by Arnott SK-2954, the rear air shocks by Arnott AS-3430, and the compressor by Arnott P-3430, and the control module by ACDelco 15095294. This can be accomplished for less than $1500. And, perhaps, I won't need to replace my existing control module.

I'm still researching and evaluating, but this is where my current mindset is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick