Complete Trans Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Nice work! I’ve got a 10’ hose coming that I’ll cut to length to make it to the bottom and suck the fluid out before dropping the pan. I’ll be attaching the hose to a Capri Tools Vacuum Bleeder which I originally got for bleeding brakes but have found multiple uses for it such as this:

0203077C-3250-4870-9C51-0A8E9DC98A4B.jpeg

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that did the pump out of the upper hose to radiator, do you recall how much was needed for a refill?

I'm assuming that gets most of the torque converter and also most of the fluid in the pan?

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I’ll be doing this tonight and I’ll let you know how much I add. I have to confirm when I’m under the truck that I do indeed have the 6L80 transmission.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those that did the pump out of the upper hose to radiator, do you recall how much was needed for a refill?

I'm assuming that gets most of the torque converter and also most of the fluid in the pan?

It’s about 5 to 5.5 qts. Once you see air bubbles you need to stop. You don’t want run pump dry. There is still a bit left in pan and a full torque converter. (About 6 qts). Now you can drop the pan without making a complete mess.

This is a great video

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JTRATX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s about 5 to 5.5 qts. Once you see air bubbles you need to stop. You don’t want run pump dry. There is still a bit left in pan and a full torque converter. (About 6 qts). Now you can drop the pan without making a complete mess.

This is a great video

Great video! That should be a sticky video on the DIY maintenance.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great video! That should be a sticky video on the DIY maintenance.
Yep. That’s how I learned to do mine. I don’t know how he gets the tubing to stay in the radiator. Mine blew out and made a mess. I had to have someone hold it in. That’s why I suggest the parts above. No chance for mess.

HACK BLOCK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So. I originally got the oil out of the pan by using the method of tapping the lower trans line (its the one that oil will be pumped out of) on the driver side for my 18 Tahoe. Start vehicle and let trans pump bring out oil until you see air bubbles. I then dropped the pan partially, changed the filter, magnet and wiped out pan. Then put about 8 quarts back in and begin to pump again until fluid was cherry red. I suspect I got about 10 or so of the 12 qts out that way. Then just topped off to bring up to fill mark. I did some towing over the summer and just wanted to do a quick fluid exchange without going through the hassle of disconnecting the line so I picked up a pump. It worked great. It got out about 5.25 qts. The only thing is that the suction line is not long enough so I picked up clear tubing at Lowe’s. 3/8 OD. Fit over pump tubing snug. Just make sure that the bought tubing is long enough to make your connection outside of the dipstick. I did the fluid exchange on a stone cold vehicle. I put back exactly what I took out. Easy transfer.

One thing to note. The pump will need to be primed with oil before it will extract.
Suck on line until trans oil reaches past pump. Lol.

Hope this helps

3253b22f053564546bf4c2b8ee5a94ad.jpg
8676507235575f401fb83e44a0c96263.jpg
d18a3b4ad4aa830d89320c9264c7f3d3.jpg
b3d1818c2cc1080ef6656fff6aedb2ad.jpg

never needed to prime my pump and I have the same one

Just Fishing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So. I originally got the oil out of the pan by using the method of tapping the lower trans line (its the one that oil will be pumped out of) on the driver side for my 18 Tahoe. Start vehicle and let trans pump bring out oil until you see air bubbles. I then dropped the pan partially, changed the filter, magnet and wiped out pan. Then put about 8 quarts back in and begin to pump again until fluid was cherry red. I suspect I got about 10 or so of the 12 qts out that way. Then just topped off to bring up to fill mark. I did some towing over the summer and just wanted to do a quick fluid exchange without going through the hassle of disconnecting the line so I picked up a pump. It worked great. It got out about 5.25 qts. The only thing is that the suction line is not long enough so I picked up clear tubing at Lowe’s. 3/8 OD. Fit over pump tubing snug. Just make sure that the bought tubing is long enough to make your connection outside of the dipstick. I did the fluid exchange on a stone cold vehicle. I put back exactly what I took out. Easy transfer.

One thing to note. The pump will need to be primed with oil before it will extract.
Suck on line until trans oil reaches past pump. Lol.

Hope this helps

3253b22f053564546bf4c2b8ee5a94ad.jpg
8676507235575f401fb83e44a0c96263.jpg
d18a3b4ad4aa830d89320c9264c7f3d3.jpg
b3d1818c2cc1080ef6656fff6aedb2ad.jpg

I have that same exact pump.
I modified the housing to flow more air, and i usually put a box fan blowing on it when running it.

I prime the pump using my power vac brake bleeder.

I also took the pump apart and found it to have a decent design for the money.