Colder plugs for 6.2. Help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Colder plugs can help with preignition, but usually they aren’t needed unless you’re boosted. Have you asked Justin for his recommendation? My Whipple instructions stated for me to drop 2 heat ranges and go with NGK TR7’s but when I was having some rough running issues he told me TR6’s would be better in his opinion. TR5 are stock for my 6.0. If TR5’s are listed as compatible for a 6.2 then you could try the TR6’s. The letters after TR6/TR5 are the type, IX are iridium, no suffix is regular type, etc. I run the regular TR6 on my blown 6.0.
Edit: I looked up plugs for an 08 Tahoe with a 6.2 on Rockauto and they list the NGK 2238 which shows an alternate p/n as TR5 so you can run the TR6’s. Since it’s an experiment you can just try the regular TR6’s since they’re only about $1.50 each if you want. That’s the part number you need to ask for, or TR6IX if you want iridium. Don’t let them ask you for the make year and engine or they’ll say they’re not the right plugs for you.

Last edited:

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was it pinging before the tune too? With Top Tier 93 gasoline other than Shell? How about on E85? Do you have that available where you live or Sunoco's 100 unleaded?

We used to run NGK splitfires when they first came out many moons ago in our Buicks. They were good for about a tenth in the quarter mile but cost us about 3 mpg. They were much more sensitive to octane and good quality fuel too, eventually I switched back to plain old stock AC Delco plugs.

You may want Justin to pull the timing a little if you have an AutoCal.

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Colder plugs can help with preignition, but usually they aren’t needed unless you’re boosted. Have you asked Justin for his recommendation? My Whipple instructions stated for me to drop 2 heat ranges and go with NGK TR7’s but when I was having some rough running issues he told me TR6’s would be better in his opinion. TR5 are stock for my 6.0. If TR5’s are listed as compatible for a 6.2 then you could try the TR6’s. The letters after TR6/TR5 are the type, IX are iridium, no suffix is regular type, etc. I run the regular TR6 on my blown 6.0.
Edit: I looked up plugs for an 08 Tahoe with a 6.2 on Rockauto and they list the NGK 2238 which shows an alternate p/n as TR5 so you can run the TR6’s. Since it’s an experiment you can just try the regular TR6’s since they’re only about $1.50 each if you want. That’s the part number you need to ask for, or TR6IX if you want iridium. Don’t let them ask you for the make year and engine or they’ll say they’re not the right plugs for you.

Yep, with NGK plugs the next number up is colder. I have tr6ix in mine atm to see if it made any difference from the ac delco 41 110 I think

Also there is a tr55ix that is heat range 5 but is gapped larger, it's not in between 5 and 6, you dont want that

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.2 is blackbear tuned, and I have never heard any pinging or anything out of the norm. I run mostly E85. Do you have other mods to yours? The only noise my 6.2 makes is piston slap/maybe lifter noise when it's cold, but all that goes away when it's at operating temp.

OP
OP

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't honestly know if it pinged before the tune. I tuned it right after I got it. I took it for a in person tune after I realized it pinged with Justin and he saw it on the pc and tried to tune it out. My truck is an 08 and does not use e85. On justins recommendation I would add three gallons of e85 to a fill up of 93 to raise the octane but that is relatively hard to do because where I live e85 is non existent. He did say that the gas I was running was poor and I have been only on top tier 93 the entire time. Truck still runs great motor is a little noisy...piston slap lifters.. I hear it ping when pulling off of the reflection of sound from a highway barrier or parked cars. My truck is too loud to hear it straight away. I will try the cooler plug you recomend and advise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't honestly know if it pinged before the tune. I tuned it right after I got it. I took it for a in person tune after I realized it pinged with Justin and he saw it on the pc and tried to tune it out. My truck is an 08 and does not use e85. On justins recommendation I would add three gallons of e85 to a fill up of 93 to raise the octane but that is relatively hard to do because where I live e85 is non existent. He did say that the gas I was running was poor and I have been only on top tier 93 the entire time. Truck still runs great motor is a little noisy...piston slap lifters.. I hear it ping when pulling off of the reflection of sound from a highway barrier or parked cars. My truck is too loud to hear it straight away. I will try the cooler plug you recomend and advise.

If the motor runs good, as good as you know, maybe it needs new cats? Can you get access to a scan tool to see how the downstream O2 sensors are performing? L92 motor right? Something is not right, it should not be pinging on 93 octane while cruising or even under light throttle.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
When you say pinging... can you actually hear it or see it as knock retard on a scanner OR both???

The knock sensors are kind of sensitive... even a loose heat shield or something like that rattling around on the engine can be picked up by them and cause the ECM to cut/retard the timing.

OP
OP

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out I had acdelco plugs not the NGK equivalents.004b932d371571960bed0707a69db7ac.jpg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turns out I had acdelco plugs not the NGK equivalents.004b932d371571960bed0707a69db7ac.jpg

What were they gapped at? Should be .040" but some old timers might have redone them to .060". Those 41-110s come already gapped and should only be checked and not adjusted (unless you know how to do it and not damage the electrode).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dimi3