2007 Tahoe/New member from sunny California/Looking for some advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Duster50

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm also in the Sierra Nevada foothills, and have a white 2007 Tahoe LS.

I picked mine up used in Sacto in Feb 2017 with 147K (was a former DOJ undercover vehicle, I discovered later). It was very clean, not cut up or beaten down like most former government rides. I commute daily from the valley up into Nevada County, 100 miles round trip at least 4 times a week. Plus it is our family's primary travel vehicle, so its been to TX, CO, MT, WA, and KS several times. At the last fuel up, it had 283, 505 miles on it. It is a Flex Fuel and has all the same options it sounds like yours has.

I do my oil changes religiously between 5K and when the computer says I'm down to 25% life, which usually equates to around 6000-6500 miles. I seldom run FF in it...tried it when I first got the truck, but didn't see enough benefit for the difficulty of finding stations.

I have replaced the transfer case and transmission, (but not until well over 200K) and done various other services as they came up, and cannot say enough good about this truck. I expect the engine to go eventually, what with the mileage, but I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I've had zero problems with the AFM, but it does burn a little oil. I wasn't aware of the upgraded valve cover until I read it in this post, so I'm going to look into whether I have that...might solve my oil issue.

I've nothing specific for you, but wanted to show you that you probably got a good deal on that Tahoe, especially here in this neighborhood. I cannot stress enough...be PROMPT and regular on your maintenance, and that ride will last you a very long time.

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm also in the Sierra Nevada foothills, and have a white 2007 Tahoe LS.

I picked mine up used in Sacto in Feb 2017 with 147K (was a former DOJ undercover vehicle, I discovered later). It was very clean, not cut up or beaten down like most former government rides. I commute daily from the valley up into Nevada County, 100 miles round trip at least 4 times a week. Plus it is our family's primary travel vehicle, so its been to TX, CO, MT, WA, and KS several times. At the last fuel up, it had 283, 505 miles on it. It is a Flex Fuel and has all the same options it sounds like yours has.

I do my oil changes religiously between 5K and when the computer says I'm down to 25% life, which usually equates to around 6000-6500 miles. I seldom run FF in it...tried it when I first got the truck, but didn't see enough benefit for the difficulty of finding stations.

I have replaced the transfer case and transmission, (but not until well over 200K) and done various other services as they came up, and cannot say enough good about this truck. I expect the engine to go eventually, what with the mileage, but I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I've had zero problems with the AFM, but it does burn a little oil. I wasn't aware of the upgraded valve cover until I read it in this post, so I'm going to look into whether I have that...might solve my oil issue.

I've nothing specific for you, but wanted to show you that you probably got a good deal on that Tahoe, especially here in this neighborhood. I cannot stress enough...be PROMPT and regular on your maintenance, and that ride will last you a very long time.

THAT right there is some of the encouraging stuff I wanna here :)

We have decided to keep this 2007 for now with the focus on disabling the AFM just in case for peace of mind since mine engages a lot in daily short drives. I figure if we wanna do a really long road trip and don't want to pay the bigger gas bill and put more mileage on the Tahoe, we will rent something with better mpg. But honestly we just don't do a whole lot of traveling right now, as is no one haha. If we do any big road trips, we will probably throw a camper on the husband's GM truck.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First of all, the VIN says I have a LMG engine, but there is NOTHING on the gas cap or on the vehicle that indicates flex fuel. I understand that some parts for FF are more expensive (even though I won't be using it, the maintenance cost will be part of my decision making) The part number for the spark plugs at the last service is 19417955. Can anyone tell from that if it is a FF? And if not, is there a way to look at the engine to tell????

Look inside the fuel door; there should be a small sticker there to tell you if the truck is E85 compatible. The different color gas caps are somewhat interchangeable so yours may have been changed from yellow to black.

the-consumer-guide-to-e85-vehicles-1_resized.jpg

OP
OP
C

Caligirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look inside the fuel door; there should be a small sticker there to tell you if the truck is E85 compatible. The different color gas caps are somewhat interchangeable so yours may have been changed from yellow to black.

View attachment 272875

Ha, finally found something on the vehicle that indicates Flex Fuel. Not that I'm going to use it, but good to know I do have the LMG.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris/iamdumb!!! ...Carla/callgirl

Dammit, Don! Really? CALL girl?! iamDUMB?! Get some glasses!

...You've become a novelist

:D

I had a few minutes to spare and it wasn't a brain scratcher. Apparently, I tend to have a lot of spare minutes cuz I'm always writing novels.

Last edited:

Taheezy_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM delete I have the same year and model trust me you don't want my problems i have now.

Here is mine today

20210308_165542.jpg