coil over conversion installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M Hankel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool deal that you're now "coiled" too. Congrats on that. :)

So I have a silly question. Why couldn't someone machine a spring locator out of mild steel (or buy them?) and then weld it to a bolt-in bracket like the ones Atomic makes? That would eliminate the weight of the Tahoe being on the shock itself and then you could just use a stock style poly mount for the upper shock/coil over without the worry of the weight crushing the poly? Very similar to how an older muscle car would still use the stock upper spring perch for a coil over setup. Like the drawing I made below.....

Will the 2.5" spring physically fit inside the upper Tahoe shock mount or is it too big?

DJMSHOCKMOUNTUPPER_zps4c7f5e9c.jpg

Mike

Last edited:

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thats interesting....to partly answer why not, I just wanted to use bolt on parts, and once I got mine working I was done with R&D lol.

OP
OP
04blackout

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
M hankel could possibly be a genius!

howabout this... if that will actually work, would you even NEED a spring cup, or could you just push the coil up into the stock perch? that is, of course, assuming that it would even fit up there

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spring must be supported evenly otherwise the loading gets all weird which a coil spring cannot handle. At minimum you need a cup to evenly distribute the load.

OP
OP
04blackout

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The spring must be supported evenly otherwise the loading gets all weird which a coil spring cannot handle. At minimum you need a cup to evenly distribute the load.

ok, good enough for me. thanks for clearing that up

now, about those williams washers you linked earlier... what size do you think i would need? im gonna order a few tonight and that polyurethane off ebay too and see if i cant make something happen with the stud top

Atomic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slightly larger OD than the poly you bought...but I think the guy in the PT thread tried poly and it didnt stand a chance. I think his current one that is working is derlin.

OP
OP
04blackout

04blackout

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Slightly larger OD than the poly you bought...but I think the guy in the PT thread tried poly and it didnt stand a chance. I think his current one that is working is derlin.

in his pic of the two, his poly was red and the delrin was black...

7645CD03-F634-489E-9F8E-BB9B8BB41E2E_zpsjo9qeyqg.jpg

F6510F5A-5C74-47E0-9BC9-FB4DE0B433DA_zpsssqsnd47.jpg

looked to me like the problem was that the bushings would deform under load and get fatter and eventually smash around the washer... if the hardened steel washer was fat enough, i wouldnt THINK the poly would be able to squeeze around it

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... May be a stupid question but do you need a bushing there? If so what other material options are there? Surely there is something that can handle the weight...

Bomba02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool deal that you're now "coiled" too. Congrats on that. :)

So I have a silly question. Why couldn't someone machine a spring locator out of mild steel (or buy them?) and then weld it to a bolt-in bracket like the ones Atomic makes? That would eliminate the weight of the Tahoe being on the shock itself and then you could just use a stock style poly mount for the upper shock/coil over without the worry of the weight crushing the poly? Very similar to how an older muscle car would still use the stock upper spring perch for a coil over setup. Like the drawing I made below.....

Will the 2.5" spring physically fit inside the upper Tahoe shock mount or is it too big?

DJMSHOCKMOUNTUPPER_zps4c7f5e9c.jpg

Mike
You are a genius hankel, it would be like a camber plate but stationary. Thats how coil overs or struts are held in the shock towers and still have the poly mount in older cars or sports car. Think your onto something!

M hankel could possibly be a genius!

howabout this... if that will actually work, would you even NEED a spring cup, or could you just push the coil up into the stock perch? that is, of course, assuming that it would even fit up there
Your gonna tackle installing the stud top! Im pumped to see results on that cause that would allow to go a little lower and more travel on shock. How is the upper mount looking did you get your camber kit in and align?

So... May be a stupid question but do you need a bushing there? If so what other material options are there? Surely there is something that can handle the weight...
I agree with you, but over on PT with atomic included they mention you need some pivot to avoid binding. blah blah.....haha so i think you need a material that can with stand the weight but flex....feel me lol

Lol... Definitely not a genius but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night!!

Mike
This is great love it hopefully you slept good!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusbrowsingaround