Changing Plugs For The Fist Time 2007 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GlennSullivan

Reaction score
So I'm going to change the plugs and wires on my 07 Z71 for the first time (84,000mi) and I've heard some of them are a bear to get to. Which are the worst and does it help to access them from underneath (I have a lift) or through the inside of the fender well?

TIA

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to change the plugs and wires on my 07 Z71 for the first time (84,000mi) and I've heard some of them are a bear to get to. Which are the worst and does it help to access them from underneath (I have a lift) or through the inside of the fender well?

TIA
Actually, they're not bad at all. #8 is the only one that's particularly challenging (pax side rear), but the trick is finding the right combination of sockets and extensions to get at it. With your wires being original, chances are you'll trash the boots getting them off, but no big deal as long as you have new wires. I can do the job in a half hour now from the top of the engine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Reaction score
T
Actually, they're not bad at all. #8 is the only one that's particularly challenging (pax side rear), but the trick is finding the right combination of sockets and extensions to get at it. With your wires being original, chances are you'll trash the boots getting them off, but no big deal as long as you have new wires. I can do the job in a half hour now from the top of the engine.

Thanks much, I found the wires were difficult to come off with the plug swap on my C6-Z06, so this time I bought the full wire set (19417612) with the plugs.

Interesting that the plugs are supposed to come pre-gapped at the specified .040 and when I checked a few, I found them at different gaps between .035 and .040.

Should I just (carefully) regap them all at .040 or is there a compelling reason to go tighter?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T

Thanks much, I found the wires were difficult to come off with the plug swap on my C6-Z06, so this time I bought the full wire set (19417612) with the plugs.

Interesting that the plugs are supposed to come pre-gapped at the specified .040 and when I checked a few, I found them at different gaps between .035 and .040.

Should I just (carefully) regap them all at .040 or is there a compelling reason to go tighter?
Regapping those is risky, but if you feel comfortable doing it, then that's what I would do.

OP
OP
G

GlennSullivan

Reaction score
Yeah, I‘ve done it a bunch of times. The strap is the same as a regular plug. Use a wire gauge and move the strap carefully. Def don’t stick in a flat feeler gauge and bang the plug on a steel workbench. LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz