Changing flat tire, lug nut removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked down at a rear tire and see a drywall screw in it. Head to Discount Tire and got it fixed. Got me to thinking. How do I get those lug nuts off if I'm on the side of the road? At 140 ftlbs I can't imagine having anything in the factory equipment to get those off. Anyone ever have to change a flat on the side of the road?
are they really torqued to 140ft/lbs, that's a lot

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience, AAA has been worthless. Final straw was when I waited 2 hrs for a tow, and was finally told by AAA on phone that they did not have any "authorized" tow services in my area, and that I'd have to find one on my own. I called the guy that the sheriff's deputy had recommended 2 hours before, and he was there in 20 minutes.

No more AAA for me.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My daughters have done it with the folding lug wrench I keep in the truck. I bought the Gorilla brand but it can be had in a dozen different brands and at less cost.

View attachment 416291

Even in my weakened state I can still crack them loose with it. Thankfully, we haven't had a flat in years, just tire rotations at home.
I have had this kit for years, I LOVE IT. Got them for my kids cars too. And if you tow a lot like I do with the boat, having those combo sockets are another nice benefit for the different sizes lug nuts.

Reaction score
Not always.

My wife had a flat tire on her Yukon a few years ago after she had shoulder surgery and couldn't do it herself. Onstar called AAA and it took them 1-1/2 hours and when the guy got there, he could figure out how to release the safety catch on the spare so I had to walk him through it over the phone.
I wasn't serious. It was a bit of sarcasm vaguely referencing another recent similar thread talking about spare tires

Seamus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ LOL I was taken back too!! We just renewed reluctantly! I have waited 3-4 hours for AAA!!! I'd never waste my time waiting unless I was really stuck...anything I can muster will be done avoiding that wait. Mainly keep it for the wife in case i am out of town.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caprajohn

Latest posts