Changing flat tire, lug nut removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked down at a rear tire and see a drywall screw in it. Head to Discount Tire and got it fixed. Got me to thinking. How do I get those lug nuts off if I'm on the side of the road? At 140 ftlbs I can't imagine having anything in the factory equipment to get those off. Anyone ever have to change a flat on the side of the road?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looked down at a rear tire and see a drywall screw in it. Head to Discount Tire and got it fixed. Got me to thinking. How do I get those lug nuts off if I'm on the side of the road? At 140 ftlbs I can't imagine having anything in the factory equipment to get those off. Anyone ever have to change a flat on the side of the road?
My daughters have done it with the folding lug wrench I keep in the truck. I bought the Gorilla brand but it can be had in a dozen different brands and at less cost.

1702358978403.png

Even in my weakened state I can still crack them loose with it. Thankfully, we haven't had a flat in years, just tire rotations at home.

OP
OP
tom3

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wondered about something like that just in case. Even at the house with the big torque wrench hitting that 140 takes some muscle. Sure seems like a lot for bolting on aluminum wheels, especially with six lugs.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never had an issue breaking them loose with the factory lug wrench.

140 ft-lbs with an 18” wrench, 100 lbs or so applied to the end of the wrench should break it loose just fine.

Taught my kids, including my 15 yr old daughter how to put the tool horizontal and step on it while making sure they kept their balance.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it can be done there is lug wrench in the back drivers side panel and a jack and the adapter pieces to get the spare down.
How to do it is shown in the owners manual.
if you get it out and try it (practice run) and for some reason just can't get it to break loose then grab yourself a breaker bar and keep it in the same storage space as the jack.
a good choice is about a 12-14" long piece of 2" galvanized pipe (found at any hardware store)
problem solved forever.....
because when the time comes and you actually have no choice but to get out there in windy, freezing, raining, mud, miserable as any person could be your going to want it to work.
pro tip: toss a rain jacket or poncho in that same compartment. you can thank me later.

k_arnold72

Reaction score
it can be done there is lug wrench in the back drivers side panel and a jack and the adapter pieces to get the spare down.
How to do it is shown in the owners manual.
if you get it out and try it (practice run) and for some reason just can't get it to break loose then grab yourself a breaker bar and keep it in the same storage space as the jack.
a good choice is about a 12-14" long piece of 2" galvanized pipe (found at any hardware store)
problem solved forever.....
because when the time comes and you actually have no choice but to get out there in windy, freezing, raining, mud, miserable as any person could be your going to want it to work.
pro tip: toss a rain jacket or poncho in that same compartment. you can thank me later.
This plus throw some gloves in there too

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why worry about it, get a AAA membership. They're everywhere and will be there within minutes with dozens of sized spare tires, one sure to fit your vehicle. Let them do the work

:cool:
Not always.

My wife had a flat tire on her Yukon a few years ago after she had shoulder surgery and couldn't do it herself. Onstar called AAA and it took them 1-1/2 hours and when the guy got there, he could figure out how to release the safety catch on the spare so I had to walk him through it over the phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork