Catalytic converter help!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's up. I got a 04 Tahoe with the 5.3. I was getting cat codes an loss of power so I couldn't afford to get new cats at the moment so went to a shop had them chopped off. I have a flow master 40 an Its always sounded good. My buddy is gonna tune my rear 02s out so anyway had the cats cut off today and I CANNOT stand the sound it makes now. Sounds raspy an I hate it. is there something i can have welded back in instead of cats like resonator or something or do i just need to order some cats

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's up. I got a 04 Tahoe with the 5.3. I was getting cat codes an loss of power so I couldn't afford to get new cats at the moment so went to a shop had them chopped off. I have a flow master 40 an Its always sounded good. My buddy is gonna tune my rear 02s out so anyway had the cats cut off today and I CANNOT stand the sound it makes now. Sounds raspy an I hate it. is there something i can have welded back in instead of cats like resonator or something or do i just need to order some cats

Follow the saga of Ken @kbuskill

OP
OP
Byoung1330

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think Magnaflow makes a catted y pipe that bolts right in.
They do but I'm trying to get out of spending 500. I was wanting some resonators or something that are bout 50 a piece. But didnt kno if it would help it

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
They do but I'm trying to get out of spending 500. I was wanting some resonators or something that are bout 50 a piece. But didnt kno if it would help it

Just suck it up and buy cats.

When you remove the cats you loose a lot of bottom end torque. The only solution is to downsize the Y-pipe to a smaller diameter, to increase the velocity of the exhaust gases, which improves scavenging... OR replace the cats with new. I had a custom Y-pipe built out of 2.5" pipe as opposed to the 2.75"- 3" stock Y-pipe.

As for the sound... I ended up going with a 36" Magnaflow XL 3 chamber muffler (I have a Suburban) and reinstalling the factory resonator out back to kill the drone at highway speed.

I couldn't stand the "mud truck" sound after removing the cats either, although mine was self inflicted because of the headers.

rps20200911_174015_776.jpg

After cat delete but before redoing the exhaust, exhaust specs are in the description...

After redoing the exhaust with the Magnaflow XL and factory resonator...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sowegatahoe87