Care and feeding of power running boards on a 2013 Escalade ESV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

My 2013 Escalade ESV has the power running boards. I very much like them, and want to keep them working properly for a long time. Neither the owner's manual nor the service manual have any useful information (that I could find) on the care and feeding of these beasts.

Searching this forum, I have gathered that the most important tip is to keep them lubricated. OK, specifically what should I lubricate? I would assume the hinges. I have heard mention of lubricating the motors as well.
What is the preferred flavor of lube? WD-40? Silicone spray? Unicorn's blood...?

As well, I have a procedural question: is there a way to lock the running boards in the extended position? I want to have the running boards extended when I wash the Escalade. I have found nothing in the owner's or service manual regarding this. Owner's manual shows a push button under the HVAC controls that locks the running boards out and prevents them from extending. It does NOT prevent them from retracting.
I found a procedure on the internet, and have used it a couple of times. However, I am not 100% comfortable with it: open a door, extend the running board, set my foot firmly on the running board, close the door. The running board will sense it is obstructed and not retract. Open and close a door again to retract the running board. It seems to work OK, but I can't shake the feeling I am damaging something. Like a slip coupling...

Thanks for your time and comments!

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have been lubricating my running board hinges by altrnating between a spray Moly lube and a penetrant like WD40. Seems to be working fine for the last three years in Wisconsin. I have not found another way to lock the boards down other than using my scanner to command them down. I usually wash the boards last and separately by hand by just not fully closing the door. I have used the trick you mention too.

OP
OP
skpyle

skpyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been lubricating my running board hinges by altrnati g between a spray Moly lube and a penetrant like WD40. Seems to be working fine for the last three years in Wisconsin. I have not found another way to lock the boards down other than using my scanner to command them down. I usually wash the boards last and separately by hand by just not fully closing the door. I have used the trick you mention too.
Thank you! I appreciate the information and advice. You must be doing something right for them to survive Wisconsin winters. :D

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always thought that button was to lock them down if something were wrong. My mother is frail and if that happened to her, she could not get out on her own! LOL

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a procedure on the internet, and have used it a couple of times. However, I am not 100% comfortable with it: open a door, extend the running board, set my foot firmly on the running board, close the door. The running board will sense it is obstructed and not retract. Open and close a door again to retract the running board. It seems to work OK, but I can't shake the feeling I am damaging something. Like a slip coupling...

Thanks for your time and comments!

This is the way to do it. It isn’t hurting anything.

I haven’t lubricated mine at all yet but I need to find some way to clean the plastic on the running boards, they’re stained with something. The previous owner(s) did not take very good care of this thing.

Ont240

Reaction score
Here in southern Ontario salt is our worst enemy. A few of the best pray lubricants that actually combat rust and corrosion are Lloyds AD3000, Fluid film 3300, CRC sp400, Rust Check.
My choice is Fluid film.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Here in southern Ontario salt is our worst enemy. A few of the best pray lubricants that actually combat rust and corrosion are Lloyds AD3000, Fluid film 3300, CRC sp400, Rust Check.
My choice is Fluid film.

Plus 1 for Fluid Film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700

Latest posts