Can you install the GM power liftgate into another tahoe that never had it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sniper_x

Reaction score
If i were to move all the original power liftgate components to a Tahoe that didn't have it, could I start using it with factory key fobs?
I mean I would move all switches, sensors, etc.

Is the harness universal like so many other manufacturers do?
Would the plugs be there and everything?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you link to these threads?
I want to understand the issues experienced.
I would imagine it requires a whole different wire harness from a vehicle that had a power lift gate, plus all the parts motor, lift arm, etc
then programming to boot. All of that probably requires tearing half the vehicle apart to do the wire harness alone.
I say this because there is a button up front in the roof console that is needed if you do not have that button already then you do not have wiring either.
there are safety features integrated as well so the gate cannot be opened if you are moving (that's part of the programming and maybe even additional wiring to the transmission or something.)
you would also need to change fobs and program those
to put a twist on that they changed wiring in 2010 and 2007's had a different front roof console
it's no simple task by any means
but if you are bored and have lots of money and are a expert at reading vehicle wiring diagrams and troubleshooting then go for it.
reality tells me to sell it and just go buy a higher trim level

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback.

I happen to have built many cars and merged trim packages on those for years.
I have made and modded wire harnesse4s and can real (and make) detailed engineering drawings of mechanical and electronic systems.

However, I am likely to get a higher trim level just to save time and sanity.

Is there a place that I can go to compare trim levels of all 3rd gen Tahoes?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appreciate your feedback.

I happen to have built many cars and merged trim packages on those for years.
I have made and modded wire harnesse4s and can real (and make) detailed engineering drawings of mechanical and electronic systems.

However, I am likely to get a higher trim level just to save time and sanity.

Is there a place that I can go to compare trim levels of all 3rd gen Tahoes?
I think chevy's go by LT, SO LT1, LT2, LTZ, But you probably wont find them listed like that it will be lt or ltz and lt2 is going to be features listed in the rpo list and not listed as lt2
that mid trim level can be hard to find without looking at pictures (looking for the buttons in the interior) because no dealers list them like that.
I am sure it's decipherable by the vin code but that's probably a whole nother internet rabbit hole

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
took me a while to find my 18 silverado in a LT2 because all the LTZ's had a center console and no jump seat i searched for months.

OP
OP
S

sniper_x

Reaction score
I am sure it's decipherable by the vin code but that's probably a whole nother internet rabbit hole
I suppose i'm just trying to find the trim level that gives me the most real upgrades and "nice" features.

Like a z71 with all the bells & whistles too.

Don't know where to go look for that list.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suppose i'm just trying to find the trim level that gives me the most real upgrades and "nice" features.

Like a z71 with all the bells & whistles too.

Don't know where to go look for that list.
ya that's going to be a tricky one I also wanted the Z71 on my Silverado, that helped narrow it down a bit but some dealers don't even list things correctly, they might say it is one thing but when you look at it's wrong or they just simply do not put Z71 at all but there it is.......
I don't know if there is a Z71 LTZ trim, maybe @swathdiver knows? he will chime in when he see's his tag

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
finding my Yukon was easier Because most dealers will note "Denali" but not all, even then there is a couple bells and whistles that may or may not be there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MCDizz

Latest posts