Can you build blind spot detection mirror?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2011denaliman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could buy replacement glass with blind spot detection and a new housing. Swap in new mirror glass and plug into existing wiring? I have damaged my mirror on 2011 gmc yukon denali but am unable to find reasonably priced replacement. Seems too easy. Appreciate any responses that don’t include using stick on blind spot mirror! Thanks.

chadw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not entirely sure im clear on your question, but if im understanding correctly, yes you can buy new glass with the blind spot detection. They are like 30 bucks on ebay (i had to replace mine on my esky). Be careful as there is a ton of options. Mine was heated, dimming (iirc) blind spot, and turn signals. There are 2 different styles.of turn signals too. Hope that helps

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could buy replacement glass with blind spot detection and a new housing. Swap in new mirror glass and plug into existing wiring? I have damaged my mirror on 2011 gmc yukon denali but am unable to find reasonably priced replacement. Seems too easy. Appreciate any responses that don’t include using stick on blind spot mirror! Thanks.
Are you wanting to add side blind zone alert to your vehicle? If so, you'll need more than just the mirrors. The sensors mount on the insides of the rear bumper cover and has to be programmed with a Tech-2 or equivalent.

calsdad

Reaction score

Sorry for necro-thread revival , but I just ran across this while investigating adding blind spot detection on my 2010 Yukon XL

Check out Boost Auto - they make replacement glass for some of the GM mirrors - that has the blind spot indicator built in

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
I was wondering if I could buy replacement glass with blind spot detection and a new housing.

Mirrors with the light up indicator for blind spot warning are the same as the others except they simply have the light up LED icon, just like the turn signal LED that shines through the mirrors.

All the hardware for blind spot indicators that make the LED in the mirrors flash is located in the sides of the rear bumper. There’s about 15ft of wire harnessing, as well as programming in the BCM.

Adding the blind spot mirror with the indicator is just one of the many needed components for the truck to be set up to have blind spot monitoring. Again, the mirror only has the LED indicator. There’s no sensors in there. That’s all in the rear bumper.

calsdad

Reaction score
Mirrors with the light up indicator for blind spot warning are the same as the others except they simply have the light up LED icon, just like the turn signal LED that shines through the mirrors.

All the hardware for blind spot indicators that make the LED in the mirrors flash is located in the sides of the rear bumper. There’s about 15ft of wire harnessing, as well as programming in the BCM.

Adding the blind spot mirror with the indicator is just one of the many needed components for the truck to be set up to have blind spot monitoring. Again, the mirror only has the LED indicator. There’s no sensors in there. That’s all in the rear bumper.

My question would be: so how "doable" is it to add blind spot detection - if the truck didn't come with it from the factory.

My 2010 Yukon XL 2500 - didn't come with blind spot detection. I've had the entire rear of my truck apart, and just checked again the other night , and I don't see any "extra" wiring connectors hanging out back there. I have tow mirrors - which don't have the blind spot indicator in them - but I've been thinking of adding the Boost Auto later-style tow mirrors - and I just noticed the other night that Boost sells replacement glass for those later style mirrors - with a blind spot indicator built in. So I'm thinking that getting a mirror with the indicator in it - is a relatively straightforward problem to solve.

I know the rear sensors - are available for somewhere in the $400 range (each). So not too expensive (I've looked at aftermarket systems and they're like $800-$1000)

I also have a Tech2 (chinese knockoff ) so hopefully that means I'd be able to do whatever programming is needed.

So - what else is there - where would the harness coming from the rear of the truck hook up to? Is it actually a separate harness - or is the harness that goes to the rear of the truck for the lights and the hatch so forth - have additional wires in it or something like that - if the blind spot detection was an option?

I could always go with an aftermarket blind spot system , but the ones I've seen always want to hook into the truck using the ODB2 port - which means that port is now "used" . I've already got an add-on hooked up there, and am planning on another one as well. So I'd prefer to hook something in the "factory" way - instead of just jumping thru the ODB2 port

calsdad

Reaction score
The other thing I would add to this thread is: there's a lot of aftermarket blind spot systems - that just give you an indicator light that can be mounted on the inside of the door on the mirror mount or the windshield column or something like that , here's a cheap one on Amazon:

So the indicator issue seems like a relatively easy one to solve - you don't necessarily NEED it in the mirror.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy