Can someone help identify this noise?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derrickhand300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Yukon 2 wheel drive
Scraping noise coming from rear end
1-thought it was a clip scraping on the rotor from disc brake- changed breaks - no help
Removed clips no help
Checked dust cover for rubbing - no help
After 2 weeks I pulled the left rear axle and found bad bearing - the noise left for a week- then returned
Thinking it might be a front hub assembly I changed them out- no help
Pulled right rear axle and checked - bearing is fine
Yesterday I removed left rear axle again to check the new bearing- it’s fine
So I changed both u joints yesterday
This morning the sound has returned
I uploaded a video of the noise to YouTube

I keep driving it thinking something will finally fall apart and reveal itself - over 1000 miles and nothing
The bad squealing sound in the video comes and goes
But a barely audible “ growl” remains all the time
At my wits end- please help if you. Can
THANK YOU

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
the E brake components are all intact? a low growl/high frequency shudder could be carrier bearings normally felt when decelerating/floating or braking going downhill, Either way thats bad, jack one side up at a time and rotate the wheel by hand, can you isolate it to a specific side? while its is up grasp the wheel 6 and 12 and try to pull/push top/bottom to feel for carrier bearing play at the inside "end" of the axle. that is an ugly dry/destroyed sounding bearing if it is one, with it's inner race spinning on the axle or outer race spinning in the diff housing? im guessing e brake. using the same method you used to video lightly apply the e brake while it's spinning, does the sound change?

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had front wheel hubs sound exactly like that, jack up the front end or one front wheel at a time and see if you have any play (wiggle) at 12 & 6 there should be none, a little play will be normal at 9 & 6 (steering components have a little play) if there is no play try spinning each front wheel and see if you can hear the noise.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you replace the wheel hub use moog, Timken or oem best prices are on rockauto or amazon, sometimes ebay
otherwise if you go the cheapy route you'll be doing it again soon the cheap hubs just don't hold up

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like thin metal squeaking to me- I'd inspect the brake dust shields and heat shields. Maybe you have one rubbing the driveshaft? Does the driveshaft have any rings on it where the rust has been rubbed off? Jacking up the rear to pull that axle could've tilted whatever's making the noise just enough to stop it, then with a week of driving it fell back into place and rubbing again. Get it up on jackstands, jacking it up by the rear axle (this is important for this test), and let it idle in "D" so the rear wheels are turning while you look and listen around.

Kelvin granville

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Yukon 2 wheel drive
Scraping noise coming from rear end
1-thought it was a clip scraping on the rotor from disc brake- changed breaks - no help
Removed clips no help
Checked dust cover for rubbing - no help
After 2 weeks I pulled the left rear axle and found bad bearing - the noise left for a week- then returned
Thinking it might be a front hub assembly I changed them out- no help
Pulled right rear axle and checked - bearing is fine
Yesterday I removed left rear axle again to check the new bearing- it’s fine
So I changed both u joints yesterday
This morning the sound has returned
I uploaded a video of the noise to YouTube

I keep driving it thinking something will finally fall apart and reveal itself - over 1000 miles and nothing
The bad squealing sound in the video comes and goes
But a barely audible “ growl” remains all the time
At my wits end- please help if you. Can
THANK YOU
Hi, I've had the same noise on a 2001 tahoe a friends truck, it was the e brake linings and corrosion build up in the rotor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia