Caliper cutting grooves into aluminum wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this on their own rigs? A groove or grooves being cut into the wheel from the caliper?

It the craziest thing, because the caliper is a 1/4" from the wheel.

I thought maybe it was some gravel, but after removing the wheel and inspecting the caliper, there was aluminum shavings and some embedded on the caliper. WTH?

The caliper bracket has never been moved. Everthing seemed tight and as it should be.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loose on the slide pins? Maybe the caliper is pivoting up/out when the pedal is pressed. What size wheels do you have? I think they went up to 17" wheels for the '03+ (or somewhere around there) to fit larger brakes.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Just curious what it looks like...mind posting a picture?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loose on the slide pins? Maybe the caliper is pivoting up/out when the pedal is pressed. What size wheels do you have? I think they went up to 17" wheels for the '03+ (or somewhere around there) to fit larger brakes.

My '04 LT came with 16" wheels, and I think there was an option for 17" wheels in both '04 and '05.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine did, but it was because one of the caliper bracket bolts came out and allowed it to flip up and rub. otherwise I would be looking into other issues.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Better check front wheel bearings. Also look if your balance weights are missing.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1/4” in which direction? Side to side or in circumference? Wheels can flex side to side when cornering hard.

OP
OP
PNWYukon

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The caliper appears to ride about a 1/4" away from the inner side of the wheel, yet these grooves are there. The full circumference. These are stock Tahoe wheels. The deep groove on the inside of the wheel is odd enough as I can find it on all four wheels. We live 2 miles up a gravel road, so I can believe some of this is from gravel abrasion, but it really looks like aluminum particles embedded in the caliper side facing those grooves.

The caliper bolts/pins appeared tight and normal, and caliper did not shift or twist by hand.

The wheels are aluminum, so they could deflect that much?

This is the rear passenger side that we happened to hear making funny noises when the window was rolled down.

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 6.54.22 PM.png

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The caliper appears to ride about a 1/4" away from the inner side of the wheel, yet these grooves are there. The full circumference. These are stock Tahoe wheels. The deep groove on the inside of the wheel is odd enough as I can find it on all four wheels. We live 2 miles up a gravel road, so I can believe some of this is from gravel abrasion, but it really looks like aluminum particles embedded in the caliper side facing those grooves.

The caliper bolts/pins appeared tight and normal, and caliper did not shift or twist by hand.

The wheels are aluminum, so they could deflect that much?

This is the rear passenger side that we happened to hear making funny noises when the window was rolled down.

View attachment 266924
It’s possible. Have someone push back and forth as hard as they can on the front and back bumpers while you watch that gap and see if they can make it change. That’s a small amount of the force of the truck itself as it goes around corners.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We live 2 miles up a gravel road, so I can believe some of this is from gravel abrasion,

I’ve seen similar marks on folks’ vehicles around me that live on gravel roads due to pieces of gravel getting wedged in between things. Usually don’t cause an issue unless it gets between the pad and rotor. Seems to be a bigger issue on drum brakes though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne