Caliper cutting grooves into aluminum wheel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert in this area, but I find it really hard to believe that those grooves are caused by any 'deflection' of the wheel and/or brake components, if all connection points are tight.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm certainly no expert in this area, but I find it really hard to believe that those grooves are caused by any 'deflection' of the wheel and/or brake components, if all connection points are tight.
I am pretty sure I have read about this before and the expert opinion was it was caused by gravel, common sense tell's me there's just no way metal on metal is going to flex that much under any kind of normal circumstances.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have read about this before and the expert opinion was it was caused by gravel, common sense tell's me there's just no way metal on metal is going to flex that much under any kind of normal circumstances.
If it does flex that far it won't return to it's original shape...

Bigshawn

Reaction score
Mine has them inside but no where near that bad. That rotor ain't looking to good. Do you live in a area that uses salt or that other junk they spray on the roads?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
We off road a lot and run gravel quite a bit. At some point every vehicle I’ve ever driven picks up a rock that’s just the right size to get stuck in the brakes somewhere. Squeals and grinds until it wears enough off to escape. Sometimes reversing will kick it out, not always.

OP
OP
PNWYukon

PNWYukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine has them inside but no where near that bad. That rotor ain't looking to good. Do you live in a area that uses salt or that other junk they spray on the roads?

I think those rear rotors have 90,000 miles on them.

Bigshawn

Reaction score
I think those rear rotors have 90,000 miles on them.
Like i said mine have marks on the inside too but nothing that bad. I just figured it was from hitting the million pot holes pa/md have and some on the interstates are nasty. I would change them rotors soon if you have rust issues where you live. My front rotors looked the same way, junk like water/salt would lay in the vents of the disc and i didn't think they were that bad but when i went to take the front driver side off the vents had crushed. I hit it with a hammer and mini sledge for like a hour an got nowhere. I had to put a long bolt with a nut thru the caliper bracket and it slowly pressed it off.

steve45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... That rotor ain't looking to good. Do you live in a area that uses salt or that other junk they spray on the roads?

Not a thing wrong with that rotor, just the normal rust ring on the circumference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu