California Smog and IM monitors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well its smog inspection time for me. California has changed the smog laws and now in order to pass smog inspection, you may only have one I/M system incomplete. I have two systems incomplete: Air and EGR. Is there any way that I can manually make one of the systems complete? I have driven 500 miles and neither of the systems have completed.
Kyle

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
But did you follow the specific cycle for the driving cycle?

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

You can use this one.

2013-04-25_133906_1.gif

OP
OP
99 2dr

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you,
I will try this after work today. Could there be any issue with the AIR and EGR because of my manual trans swap and black bear tune? I have passed smog just fine the last two times.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
There is a possibility that the internal tables are change a bit. Did black bear change the pcm programming and does the smog shop do the same? Does the smog computer read the vin and switch back to auto. The egr almost always never completes for us with mods. The air one tho may actually have an issue. Make sure it runs a bit when you start up and give the check valves and hoses a once over. There is also a electric solenoid on the side to test.

OP
OP
99 2dr

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black bear reflashed the ecm for a manual trans. They do scan the vin when they smog it, but the last two times it passed smog just fine. This time it failed because two of the monitors were incomplete. Evidently a month a go California changed the law only allowing you to have 1 monitor incomplete. When you mean air, does it include the air pump on the drivers side fender? Sometimes on start up it hums pretty loud for 15-20 sec until it turns off.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yes air pump. disconnect pump hose and make sure it is moving air when it runs.

BTW, where is the smog info you are getting I can't find it on the CARB site?

---------- Post added at 05:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Never mind. Found it.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

Effective May 4. Found it under the industrial section.

OP
OP
99 2dr

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I ran it through the drive cycle this evening. No luck. Yea, Effective may 4 and I went down on the 10th for a smog test....... I will pull the hose and see if it is pushing any air. If it is moving air, where do I go from here?

OP
OP
99 2dr

99 2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a quick check this morning and the air pump is definitely working. Lots of suction in and lot of pressure out. How do I go about testing the Shut off valve and controlling solenoid?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Disconnect the line from manifolds where it connects to the pump valve with cold engine. Look into valve as seen if it is closed. It should open when pump runs and you should feel lots of air thru it when it does not just from the pump output itself but thru that valve. If not sure it is closed pull it out of vehicle and blow thru it. Also make sure that no exhaust is backflowing out of the distribution lines off the manifolds when engine is running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnybalo

Latest posts