Buyer Beware - Don't Buy a Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's fair. It's just that the level of problems being shared here are way worse than other car forums I've looked at. The Toyota forums aren't sharing catastrophic engine failures.

I have noticed that the diesel engine subforums have less complaints though. Is it fair to say that the Duramax is the more reliable engine?

If I was forced to buy one of these body style SUV’s (which I wouldn’t), I would pick the diesel, and I’m not a diesel guy at all. I haven’t heard of any catastrophic failures with them (although it is a mechanical thing and that is always possible). The main issues with them are stuff like leaks and issues with emissions components. Some here love to argue but there are extra maintenance costs like DEF, fuel filters, the wet oil pump drive belt on the rear of the engine, etc. There is a reason many companies have gone back to gassers for their work trucks. Diesel fuel costs pretty close to premium (which is what you should be running in a 6.2). Everything on a diesel costs significantly more than a gasser and you just need to be aware of that. I would highly recommend a GOOD extended warranty (I wouldn’t recommend owning any 2015+ GM full-size without one).

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main issues with them are stuff like leaks and issues with emissions components. Some here love to argue but there are extra maintenance costs like DEF, fuel filters, the wet oil pump drive belt on the rear of the engine, etc.
Most every one of these are such small potatoes for the 50% better fuel mileage you get over the 6.2 with premium. Emissions is always a crap shoot. My last 2 were mostly good past 100K and what did happen was covered under warranty. Wet belt will go at least 200K, much longer than anyone will ever own it. I don't spend 30.00 a year on DEF and change my own oil for 75 bucks with a 15.00 premium filter. It's much better than driving a ticking time bomb that seems to know when you are the furthest from home.....

If I couldn't have bought this vehicle with the Dmax, I wouldn't have bought it, period.

OP
OP

23Ultimate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update : Customer care rep was very friendly and understanding but ultimately didn’t do anything as the issue is intermittent and the status from GMC is they are working on a software fix.

Newest issue was flashing check engine light when descending a hill while a message “Service Rear Axle System” flashed and then once at the bottom of the hill the rear axle message went off but the check engine light persisted. After about a day the check engine light went off before I could get it in to be checked on. (Over the weekend and 5 hours from home) Then I got a low engine warning the next day and the dealership verified it was a low a couple of quarts. I’m typing this message from the dealership in Branson, MO 5 hours from my house as they add oil and document the issue. I’m sure there are a lot of people that buy these vehicles and never have these problems but this has been and continues to be an absolute nightmare experience with this vehicle and GM.

Last edited:

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update : Customer care rep was very friendly and understanding but ultimately didn’t do anything as the issue is intermittent and the status from GMC is they are working on a software fix.

Newest issue was flashing check engine light when descending a hill while a message “Service Rear Axle System” flashed and then once at the bottom of the hill the rear axle message went off but the check engine light persisted. After about a day the check engine light went off before I could get it in to be checked on. (Over the weekend and 5 hours from home) Then I got a low engine warning the next day and the dealership verified it was a low a couple of quarts. I’m typing this message from the dealership in Branson, MO 5 hours from my house as they add oil and document the issue. I’m sure there are a lot of people that buy these vehicles and never have these problems but this has been and continues to be an absolute nightmare experience with this vehicle and GM.
I understand ( sort of).... The defective ECU components ( who the heck manufactured them??)..... But.. what's the deal of a NEW Yukon, loosing engine oil ???? They may owe you a replacement engine in the future ???

OP
OP

23Ultimate

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I understand ( sort of).... The defective ECU components ( who the heck manufactured them??)..... But.. what's the deal of a NEW Yukon, loosing engine oil ???? They may owe you a replacement engine in the future ???
I'm not sure if it is consuming oil or possibly wasn't filled properly at the last oil change. The low oil prompt didn't ding until it was parked on a significant incline. (While we were in Branson, MO) Where we live (central Oklahoma) it is flat so there is a possibility it has been low on oil since the last dealer oil change. The Branson, MO dealership that added oil and documented the issue suggested I request my dealership perform an oil consumption test to better determine what may have happened.

djsassan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is consuming oil or possibly wasn't filled properly at the last oil change. The low oil prompt didn't ding until it was parked on a significant incline. (While we were in Branson, MO) Where we live (central Oklahoma) it is flat so there is a possibility it has been low on oil since the last dealer oil change. The Branson, MO dealership that added oil and documented the issue suggested I request my dealership perform an oil consumption test to better determine what may have happened.
I will start by saying I did not read all 7 pages, I read the first two. That was enough.

Search under my profile. I successfully get GM to buyback a 2021 that had two engine replacements and a third failure when I bought it in August 2022. Dealer #1 screwed up and treated me like crap, Dealer #2 fixed #1's muck up, Dealer #3 fixed my final issue, and then GM finally bought the truck back and I got a brand new one.

You need to be persistent. A lawyer helps, not by threatening but by showing you mean business by retaining the right to counsel.

Wish you the best, it is frustrating as hell to be paying a payment on a large SUV and be driving a sedan for weeks at a time. Push back hard, but politely, and get them to make it right.

BacDoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One thing to remember is a lot of people don't come on forums to say how great their vehicle is and its problem free. Most come on with problems looking for solutions or to bash the brand. So the majority of what a person sees is the problems and not the other hundreds of thousands of the same vehicle that don't have them. Sadly some people just get stuck with a lemon but they are by far the minority.
This is a valid point and perspective is everything! Statistically Chevy Tahoe is 60% of the big SUV market and if you include Yukon and Escalade(which is basically same platform) that’s a very large number of trucks. Unfortunately mass production will have a percentage of “lemons”. Even if the percentage is extremely small it equates to a lot of trucks.

As I said, perspective is important. For people worried about getting a lemon when purchasing a large luxury SUV, your chances of getting a defective vehicle is like someone who is under 50, doesn’t drink or smoke and they are worried about dying from fentanyl overdose. Statistically it’s the number one cause of death in adults under 50 even if they don’t use drugs! Probably even double the probability of people getting stuck with a $100k lemon.

Think about that!

AAhmed

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought a 23 Yukon XL Denali Ultimate 6 months ago and it's been nothing but a nightmare. In the shop 3 times with just 9,000 miles on it, first stop was for a lifter fix for 10 days and then the last 2 have been related to the vehicle stranding us while cranking but not starting. $100K+ vehicle with these issues and no courtesy transportation from the dealership on the last issue. (other than an Uber ride home) I would highly encourage you to reconsider purchasing a new Yukon as it's extraordinarily frustrating having such an expensive and unreliable vehicle, I really just wish I had my 2016 Suburban back.
I am sorry to hear this. I have gone through it. see this thread:

Beware: GM Nightmare - Defective 2024 and 2022 Yukon Diesel​

You have to get it replaced or let them buy it back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo