Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice. I'd love to do a father and son project. Nice to spend some bonding time with the boys. You could always get a compressor and some cheap spray guns from HF and get some paint mixed up--try doing 1 part at a time, til you get the hang of it. I've always liked the police crown vics. Cheap and dependable. The Mercury Marauder is based on them.
I really enjoy working with them. My biggest obstacle was getting past the idea that things need to be perfect and get to point that I can to let them try, fail, learn and redo something’s.

I do have a couple compressor’s and when we get to doing the bed and other body work on Joseph’s truck, I will definitely be getting a spray gun. That being said, I think it’s good to show them the various ways to do things.

Kind of like when we were doing shocks and Joseph wanted to use the impact but I made him do the first 3 with a ratchet and breaker bars. On the last one, I got out the impact and he had a much better appreciation of what it does, but he also learned that you can do a lot with simple hand tools.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh you cruel man..... :)

I hope you neglected to use PB Blaster or the like, and made him do the rustiest ones first.
Hey, kids gotta learn somehow right?

He’s moved up to power tools. The window of his truck came off the track somehow today so guess what he gets to learn how to do? You will notice that he’s using my impact driver.

9092C47C-C169-4320-B332-EFBEA89C3FE9.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome idea to make him use hand tools 1st. I never would've thought that lol. Imo there's nothing like quality father and son time. Too many kids today don't know how to do much--except to play video games. You're giving your kids a skill for life :).
Thanks.

I look at using hand tools first then power tools like making a kid learn how to do math by hand before giving them a calculator, or making an engineer draw things with a board and T-Square before using a CAD package on a computer.

It forces you to understand what is truly happening and know what needs to be done and have a good appreciation of what the tool is doing for you.

It also makes you less reliant on technology.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks.

I look at using hand tools first then power tools like making a kid learn how to do math by hand before giving them a calculator, or making an engineer draw things with a board and T-Square before using a CAD package on a computer.

It forces you to understand what is truly happening and know what needs to be done and have a good appreciation of what the tool is doing for you.

All true.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.

I taught my son how to use a slide rule. Anyone remember those?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011