Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
@wjburken awesome thread mate! I’m jealous! My dad never spent any time with me growing up, let alone teach me things like working on a vehicle. Unfortunately I think the only thing I learned from him was how to spend money..... :( your boys are blessed to have a dad that wants to teach them things! Nice work on the grand marquis! My great aunt had one for many years in Vermont. I’m super close with her and many a days when I’d fly back to see my grandparents and her, I’d spend riding in the marquis! Haha.
Thanks.

I was pretty fortunate that I was able to learn a lot by watching my dad do things and eventually helping him. Whether it was turning a wrench working on a car or swinging a hammer working on the house, I was there. I would say that my dad wasn’t so much motivated by wanting to teach as he was motivated by the fact he needed someone to help and I was willing and always by his side. Either way, I learned a lot. I got my first toolbox with some basic tools when I was 7 and my first socket set when I was 8. Still have that set by the way. When I was 10, I started fixing bikes for other kids and even their parents. Never could afford a new bike as a kid, but I had some cool ones that I built from bits and pieces other people were going to throw away.

I just hope I can teach my kids half of what my dad taught me. The neat thing is over the past 20 years or so, I have been able to repay my dad by working on his vehicles or fixing things around his house as he is not as able to do that kind of stuff. I tell him he’s finally getting a return on his investment of teaching me how to work with my hands.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I wish more dads would realize how important it is to spend time with their children--girls included--while they're young, and teach them things that will serve them well later in life. 2 positive things will come out of it, you teach them to be self reliant, and you get to spend quality time with the kiddoes--Win/Win!! You're doing a good job Wade :waytogo::waytogo:!

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish more dads would realize how important it is to spend time with their children--girls included--while they're young, and teach them things that will serve them well later in life. 2 positive things will come out of it, you teach them to be self reliant, and you get to spend quality time with the kiddoes--Win/Win!! You're doing a good job Wade :waytogo::waytogo:!
Thanks Tony.

Speaking of girls, my daughter loves to help me as well. Won’t be long and she’ll be wanting a vehicle and I will have to change the name of the thread.

If I’m completely honest, she is the one who is most like me when it comes to trying to build or fix things. She even wants to be an engineer! I think she has the knack.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Thanks Tony.

Speaking of girls, my daughter loves to help me as well. Won’t be long and she’ll be wanting a vehicle and I will have to change the name of the thread.

If I’m completely honest, she is the one who is most like me when it comes to trying to build or fix things. She even wants to be an engineer! I think she has the knack.
That's pretty cool. I'm sure she loves hanging out with her dad. It's amazing what an affect a dad can have--good and/or bad--on their children. You'll have a life long affect on them.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
While changing the oil, I popped off the cap tot he master cylinder and had Joseph use a manual fluid pump to empty it out and then put in new fluid. No time to bleed the brakes today, but wanted to at least get some of it replaced. It is definitely on the to-do-soon-list.

487BB8BB-09FE-4C09-B219-D33284C33D01.jpeg
638C23EB-4678-4C95-B400-C9D4054CBE3A.jpeg

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts