Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tomorrow I am picking up a 1996 K1500 sans motor, for $150. Not sure if we will use it as a donor truck for Joseph’s ‘97 or if we will swap the motor out of Joseph’s and put it in to this one. He likes the regular cab/long box though.

Parting out 96 Chevy K1500

https://ottumwa.craigslist.org/pts/d/wayland-parting-out-96-chevy-k1500/7251739882.html
View attachment 269464 View attachment 269465 View attachment 269466

Wow! That interior looks identical to my 1997 Yukon SLE. RIP.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the truck home last night. After looking at it, we will keep Joseph’s RCLB ‘97 and just peel parts off that we want and then get rid of the carcass like a Turkey after thanksgiving.

Looking at mainly taking the bumpers, grill assembly, tailgate and interior stuff like steering wheel, radio, front seats, and maybe the dash.

Here is the RPO sticker. If there is anything you might be interested in, let me know and if we don’t need it or use it, will work a deal. It did not come with a motor and the tranny is slipping. He said the 4WD was solid.
47BB5335-F3FD-4BF8-9A55-1B46B76C590A.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Got the truck home last night. After looking at it, we will keep Joseph’s RCLB ‘97 and just peel parts off that we want and then get rid of the carcass like a Turkey after thanksgiving.

Looking at mainly taking the bumpers, grill assembly, tailgate and interior stuff like steering wheel, radio, front seats, and maybe the dash.

Here is the RPO sticker. If there is anything you might be interested in, let me know and if we don’t need it or use it, will work a deal. It did not come with a motor and the tranny is slipping. He said the 4WD was solid.
View attachment 269654
Is the box in better ot worse shape then yours?

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the box in better ot worse shape then yours?
The fenders arches are in bad shape and the rear DS taillight assembly fell out going down the road due to the mounting points being rusted out so its not in great shape, but even if it was in good condition, Joseph's truck is a regular cab with an 8' bed and the donor truck is an extended cab with a 6.5' bed. Oh, and after seeing the truck in person, they are not the same green. Joseph's is Laguna Green and the donor truck is Emerald Green.:( Will need to paint the tailgate and the hood, but we need to paint the bed as well so he/we will get plenty of practice with the painting process once it warms up.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been pretty cold and the boys have been busy shoveling snow so not much work has been done on vehicles.

That being said, Joseph has been searching for a used toolbox for his truck and I happened to find one for him that a co-worker had in his garage. The guy was pretty impressed that Joseph was willing to work and earn money at 14 so he said he could have it for free. It was a nice little surprise for Joseph when I came home after work with it in the back of his truck.
EC27A8DB-9C0F-41D1-8E89-C85D59159ADA.jpeg

The donor truck is still on the trailer. Hopefully this week it will warm up a little and we can get out and get it off the trailer abs start pulling parts.
740D7DB8-A639-4857-B7A0-BBCE5F9E043B.jpeg 9492EAC7-880A-4AB0-ABC9-D2571CA8179B.jpeg

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a few things done on Joseph’s truck this weekend taking advantage of the “warm” weather with it being in the 20’s.

Got the tool box anchored down to the bed.
Swapped tailgates and started the process of swapping the rear bumper. After snapping on of the bolts holding the bumper onto the donor truck, I soaked them in some Aerokroil. Joseph got to try his hand at using the new Milwaukee impact. Shook lots of rust loose. Was able to snap a quick picture of Joseph in the process.

A80D33D6-ABF9-47F9-9113-06467B83A6BB.jpeg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got a few things done on Joseph’s truck this weekend taking advantage of the “warm” weather with it being in the 20’s.

Got the tool box anchored down to the bed.
Swapped tailgates and started the process of swapping the rear bumper. After snapping on of the bolts holding the bumper onto the donor truck, I soaked them in some Aerokroil. Joseph got to try his hand at using the new Milwaukee impact. Shook lots of rust loose. Was able to snap a quick picture of Joseph in the process.

View attachment 271421

With all that rust falling down, how about some glasses? Can't tell if he's protecting those eyes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65