Burken Boys’ and Girl’s Journey

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When I worked at CAT (making hydraulic hose in Mossville, IL) they were very strict about using hearing and eye protection. I had the safety glasses that have the guards on the sides but still managed to get three pieces of metal in my eye; it must have been floating in the air or something. That was not pleasant, although I was fortunate to not have any lasting damage.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I worked at CAT (making hydraulic hose in Mossville, IL) they were very strict about using hearing and eye protection. I had the safety glasses that have the guards on the sides but still managed to get three pieces of metal in my eye; it must have been floating in the air or something. That was not pleasant, although I was fortunate to not have any lasting damage.
That was not fun at all, I’m sure.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was not fun at all, I’m sure.

I had to have a metal fragment plucked from my eye years ago. It's hell from the time it happens until they numb it. The whole time you're at home and everyone's trying to get it, the drive to the eye doc, waiting to see the doc... it's pure agony the whole time. He basically pinched it with tweezers and pulled. You feel your eyeball being pulled like it's stretching out of shape. Then, when the metal shard breaks free, your eye snaps back to shape.

I'm writing the gruesome details in hopes it'll really drive home how important eye protection (and all PPE) is. You only have two eyes and they can be taken from you very easily and permanently.

OP
OP
wjburken

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s interesting but if you ever need an MRI and worked with metal they want to know. I guess the magnet can pull metal out of you and the eye is one place it can do some real damage.
Yeah. I’ve had ocular X-rays for just that reason. Been around grinding and welding work pretty much my whole career so to be safe, every time I’ve needed and MRI, they check the eyes. Never found anything fortunately.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a few things done on Joseph’s truck this weekend taking advantage of the “warm” weather with it being in the 20’s.

Got the tool box anchored down to the bed.
Swapped tailgates and started the process of swapping the rear bumper. After snapping on of the bolts holding the bumper onto the donor truck, I soaked them in some Aerokroil. Joseph got to try his hand at using the new Milwaukee impact. Shook lots of rust loose. Was able to snap a quick picture of Joseph in the process.

View attachment 271421

I love the comment on taking advantage of the "warm" 20's degrees weather. It brought back a lot of memories of cold weather vehicle repairs, and I don't think any of them were pleasant. I replaced a head gasket in a parking lot in a snow storm, and I temporarily repaired a broken leaf spring on a highway exit ramp in a snow storm. But, they were learning experiences.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I love the comment on taking advantage of the "warm" 20's degrees weather. It brought back a lot of memories of cold weather vehicle repairs, and I don't think any of them were pleasant. I replaced a head gasket in a parking lot in a snow storm, and I temporarily repaired a broken leaf spring on a highway exit ramp in a snow storm. But, they were learning experiences.
When doing under the vehicle repairs in the Midwest sometimes cold is better. If the frozen stuff stays that way it doesn't drip on you and in your eyes. I have done a lot in my shop cold so I could stay dry.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When doing under the vehicle repairs in the Midwest sometimes cold is better. If the frozen stuff stays that way it doesn't drip on you and in your eyes. I have done a lot in my shop cold so I could stay dry.

At least, until your fingers go numb, and you can't tell if you hurt yourself, until you see the blood flowing. :)

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got a few things done on Joseph’s truck this weekend taking advantage of the “warm” weather with it being in the 20’s.

Got the tool box anchored down to the bed.
Swapped tailgates and started the process of swapping the rear bumper. After snapping on of the bolts holding the bumper onto the donor truck, I soaked them in some Aerokroil. Joseph got to try his hand at using the new Milwaukee impact. Shook lots of rust loose. Was able to snap a quick picture of Joseph in the process.

View attachment 271421

Joseph is a smart kid. That was a recipe for disaster IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman