Brand new brakes leaving gouges?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Back again with more thing going on with the new to me 15 yukon. I had contacted my sales man with a nasty yet professional email About the brakes. That’s how they took it Atleast (Rear brakes were almost metal on metal) so they issued me a check for materials and labor because I insisted that I don’t want their service guys to touch my truck... I went ahead and installed brand new pads and rotors all around. Now my front rotors look like this after about 100 miles (gouging) on both driver and passenger side evenly...
anyone else see this before?

80EA984B-C0AF-4F6B-90E8-49F9CC7491A9.jpeg 985A7393-9D52-4554-81CE-6F7E433CA68F.jpeg

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please post a photo of the pads. Also, is this happening to both sides of the rotors, or only the outside?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pads should burn into rotors not the other way around.
What pads did you use?

actually, the rears on my 19 had a nice line around them at like 500 miles but it was gone after a few more miles

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I get a chance to lift the truck again and check the pads I’ll get a picture. But I ordered centric brand ceramic pads in front. And everything else was power stop brand rotors and rear pads also ceramic.

Also don’t know if inside of rotors are doing the same. Just outsides of both driver and passenger side rotor are showing this same wear

(long story short. I bought the truck 2 weeks ago and had my daughter last week. So time is tied up right now )

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely an error on my part. But how did I manage to pinch these clips on all 4 sides of the front rotors?!

29787186-A399-43E2-8818-A0028FD6FDAD.jpeg

OP
OP
Tonyv__

Tonyv__

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m gonna try to explain the best I can. When installing pads. Do you normally take the caliper brace off and install the pads from the center(where the rotor would be)and slide them towards the outside?.. or do you leave the brace on and just slide the pads on from the outside in towards the rotors?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caliper bracket(brace) on, quiet clips on, pads slide IN towards rotor, usually on an angle (ie: bottom of pad first then top of pad, repeat) sometimes they just fit straight in tho. Depends on if the clips on the the bracket(brace) are new or bent a little..etc. I normally put a dab of white lithium or brake grease on the ends of the pad before placing into bracket(brace) yhen caliper on.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely an error on my part. But how did I manage to pinch these clips on all 4 sides of the front rotors?!

View attachment 251082

IDK why those clips are bent like that either but I've done brakes 2 different times on my avalanche the clips that were provided, were just like that. They looked "wrong" to me so I haven't used them. If anyone has an explanation, I'm all ears.

The part thats rubbing the rotor may need to be bent down (away from the rotor and act as a spring) and thats how they keep tension on the pad? I've never really thought about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick