Brakes. WTF am I not doing / doing wrong?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New MC was bled and installed. I bled the brakes, then ran the ABS bleed a couple times. Then I bled all the brakes again. Pedal sucks. I even tried one man manual bleed with the pedal thinking there may be something in the MC. And then pressure bled them again. Pedal still sucks. Just off 1 gal fluid through it today.

I really thought I would get a decent brake pedal today, but no chance of that.

What am I missing / doing wrong?

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
New MC was bled and installed. I bled the brakes, then ran the ABS bleed a couple times. Then I bled all the brakes again. Pedal sucks. I even tried one man manual bleed with the pedal thinking there may be something in the MC. And then pressure bled them again. Pedal still sucks. Just off 1 gal fluid through it today.

I really thought I would get a decent brake pedal today, but no chance of that.

What am I missing / doing wrong?
Is your pedal still very stiff or too soft?

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too soft. Too much travel and low brake force

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check that you put the calipers on the correct sides. They will mount on opposite sides but the bleeders will be below the feed line. In this situation, you won't be able to bleed the air out of the calipers.
I've not changed them, but I'll check.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving for an hour the brake force isn't too bad. Fine for cruising but still not really good enough. I did notice the front digging in so the rears aren't engaging much.

The system must still have air in it. I'm going to pull the MC off to swap out the reservoir, bleed it again and start again.

I'm sure the triple loop in the hard brake lines next to the MC isn't easy to clear air out of. Can't imagine what use it actually has apart from trapping air.

Definitely not putting another Autozone Duralast MC in it no matter what happens. I'll buy a Delco from RA if I have to.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After driving for an hour the brake force isn't too bad. Fine for cruising but still not really good enough. I did notice the front digging in so the rears aren't engaging much.

The system must still have air in it. I'm going to pull the MC off to swap out the reservoir, bleed it again and start again.

I'm sure the triple loop in the hard brake lines next to the MC isn't easy to clear air out of. Can't imagine what use it actually has apart from trapping air.

Definitely not putting another Autozone Duralast MC in it no matter what happens. I'll buy a Delco from RA if I have to.

I was about to say that you may have a defective MC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17