Bolt on trailer hitch receiver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t know for sure but mine doesn’t look any different than a civvy one. Dunno

OP
OP
shreksbrother

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any specialty bolt stores or Grainger around you? If you don't find a hitch before then, you could replace the bottom two bolts with some Grade 8 or 10.9 shouldered eye bolts:

Grade-8-Eye-Bolt.jpg

Brilliant idea! I have a Fastenal close by, and their website shows they have shouldered eye bolts. Time to make a run over there!

OP
OP
shreksbrother

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have any specialty bolt stores or Grainger around you? If you don't find a hitch before then, you could replace the bottom two bolts with some Grade 8 or 10.9 shouldered eye bolts:

Grade-8-Eye-Bolt.jpg
That turned out to be a really good idea... Now to see if it holds! [emoji848]86781ca5c08d81bbe3d87531e65a4473.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My PPV has a bolt on trailer hitch receiver. It's something I've never seen before (picture attached). It's fastened on by 4 grade 8 bolts that go all the way through the reinforcement bar. Of course there is no brand or anything visible, but it does look professionally made.

I need to tow a motorcycle trailer with a bike on it... Think this will do ok? It's not a heavy bike (BMW R1200GS I just bought).

Plan for today is to do the wiring, since there is none, and figure out where the trailer chains can connect.

Thanks for any thoughts on this, Adam.fd6b6e13ecb7affc951a73462ab15da4.jpg

Ok as in pulling the weight, maybe. It doesn't have the required chain hookups, I don't see anything "trailer wiring" .. and I don't see anything attaching it to the frame, nor into the harness.. so "professionally made" ... I don't think so.

It might work, but doesn't look like it was on there when used as a PPV. maybe it was used for one of these Gatorade carrying platforms.

LanceD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an OEM bumper bar with receiver for sale if anyone wants to drive to NM to get it.

OP
OP
shreksbrother

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok as in pulling the weight, maybe. It doesn't have the required chain hookups, I don't see anything "trailer wiring" .. and I don't see anything attaching it to the frame, nor into the harness.. so "professionally made" ... I don't think so.

It might work, but doesn't look like it was on there when used as a PPV. maybe it was used for one of these Gatorade carrying platforms.
I'm fairly certain it was purchased (see attached photo). I bought it directly from the municipality, and they were the original owners, so something along the lines of a bike rack makes sense.

That being said, it's getting tossed in favor of an OEM mount.

6c8f286b8d2b48ad272718b8ab0ec813.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645