Bolt on trailer hitch receiver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My PPV has a bolt on trailer hitch receiver. It's something I've never seen before (picture attached). It's fastened on by 4 grade 8 bolts that go all the way through the reinforcement bar. Of course there is no brand or anything visible, but it does look professionally made.

I need to tow a motorcycle trailer with a bike on it... Think this will do ok? It's not a heavy bike (BMW R1200GS I just bought).

Plan for today is to do the wiring, since there is none, and figure out where the trailer chains can connect.

Thanks for any thoughts on this, Adam.fd6b6e13ecb7affc951a73462ab15da4.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
shreksbrother

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, James. I just sent off a couple of emails to people parting out Tahoes on CL.

Just did the wiring, which was stupidly easy... The entire 7-pin connector is there tucked out of the way (as mentioned in that thread you referenced). I just wired in the 4-pin plug and voila!

Unfortunately I was not so lucky with the chain tabs... When I pick up the trailer I will see if I can figure out a way to secure them.

Reaction score
That was probably installed to hold a bicycle carrier or something like that, or as an attachment point to aid in pulling a stuck vehicle out of a snowbank.

I'm sure it will be ok to pull a small light trailer, but don't put much tongue weight on it

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Tom's right, maybe one of those cargo baskets. But if grade 8 bolts and what, 1,500 pounds total, you should be fine.

OP
OP
shreksbrother

shreksbrother

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was probably installed to hold a bicycle carrier or something like that, or as an attachment point to aid in pulling a stuck vehicle out of a snowbank.

I'm sure it will be ok to pull a small light trailer, but don't put much tongue weight on it

2001 Yukon SLT
2012 Yukon XL Denali
2011 Yukon Denali RIP 5/20/18

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I had the same thought about a bicycle mount. The truck came from southern Texas, so a snowbank is unlikely [emoji6]

For sure I'll plan to never tow with this thing again, but hopefully it'll be ok this once. I'm not picking the bike up until Thursday, so maybe I'll get lucky and score one on CL before then.

Sent from my Galaxy Note9 using Tapatalk

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Find a wrecked ssv and get the rear bumper support with hitch. I payed 150 for mine and it bolts right in. The wiring harness is tucked up underneath.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a wrecked ssv and get the rear bumper support with hitch. I payed 150 for mine and it bolts right in. The wiring harness is tucked up underneath.

Would any OEM hitch and support work or is there a difference with the SSV design?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan