Blown belt and heads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving down the highway tonight, had the belt completely blow. Pulled over after I noticed the battery light and check gauge light turn on in the dash. Noticed then the fan wasn't spinning and the temp gauge was all the way over to the red. Limped it home approx 1 mile from where I noticed the temp gauge heating up and had pulled over, hoping I didn't crack a head from overheating. When I pulled over it cooled down a little bit, but was still near the red. Do you think driving it a mile with neither the water pump or fan blowing would cause a head to crack? No coolant leaked out, it's a Vortec head, and it was 29 degrees out tonight.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smart thing to have done was parked it, and tow it home. BUT, you have might have been lucky with the ambient temp being so low and going very slow. If it didn't boil over into the overflow, the least you could have done is maybe shorten the life of the heads/gaskets. Put a belt on and drive it. you will have your answer soon enough.

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I had my belt snap on the highway and drove it like that about a mile on the highway. When I got there it was almost overheating but didn't. I was lucky and you might be too

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You more then likely cracked a head. Those Vortec heads have a thing casting near the water jacket between where the 4/6 and 3/5 exhaust ports sit. If they are run for any amount of time with no water flow those jackets will vaporize the water and turn it to steam. It's game over at that point ...

OP
OP
K

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll do an oil change tonight and check the oil for coolant, that should be a for sure way to tell. No coolant in the oil, then I'm good.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just because no oil in coolant, doesn't mean the head material between the intake and exhaust valve didn't crack.

Need to perform a leak down test to find out.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
put a belt on it and drive it, you will find out one way or another. I wouldn't even bother to change the oil yet.

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would agree check the oil to be sure, but put a belt on and drive.

OP
OP
K

KPOD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drives just like it should, no overheating or funny smells or noises. Will change the oil tomorrow since it's due for a change anyways, and hope for the best :happy160: Turns out the belt tensioner blew or something, and that is what took out the belt. So I had to pick up a new $20 tension wheel as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbris21

Latest posts