Bleeding Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I saw rookie techs and shadetree mechanics do that. Part of my job as service manager was hiring a new tech, qualified or a rookie, and helping bring along the rookie and also assigning him to a qualified tech as his helper to learn the proper way for repairs. I saw lots of ASE certified techs that could not tighten a hose clamp correctly.

I was totally embarrassed that I had done this. I hate it when I have to admit that mistake! On the other hand, I've had other shops make potentially life-threatening mistakes and not own up to it. At least I knew I had a problem, admitted it (to myself at least), and fixed it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Part of accepting a problem has to do with admitting the mistake. People are human and will make them and if so, admit it, apologize if needed and make it right. I told my techs that if I asked them a question about a repair or a diagnosis and they could not answer in the affirmative or negative with absolutely 1000% certainty, then find out why. I never accepted the words: could be, maybe, might be, hope so....etc. Those words or phrases leave an out for the speaker to say I never said for sure. If the tech or yourself needs more time to be sure, TAKE IT. I would never fault a tech or a member for that. If I had a tech winging it I would remind them all the manuals or software available to help with the work or diagnosis. Use that shit. I had a customer one time say he did not want a tech to work on his car because he saw him get a manual out. I told him that I would fire that tech if he didn't get the manual out. I then went in to my pat answer to the customers.

"Doctors have it way easier than techs who work on vehicles. They work on two models and the models talk to the doctor. The tech works on way more years and models and they don't talk to the tech". That always always worked.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That’s the one. You will love it @donjetman - easiest brake bleeding you’ll ever do. I tried the vacuum ones, what a PIA they were. The Motive is awesome.
Edit: I thought you had the same one @donjetman but that’s for Eoropean cars and is a bit different. The one that Ron posted is the one I bought and has the adapter for GM.

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, that kit I posted comes with the 1108 adapter and is the right one for my rig. Plus you don't need the air compressor fired up like some of the others. The hand pump for pressure looks easy as hell. The only thing I don't like is if I would have to buy other adapters for other vehicles if I am working on a friends vehicle. I would just make my friend buy the adapter and leave it with me. LOL!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would not let a brake fluid flush go past 50k miles. Most vehicles qualify for maintenance under the SEVERE schedule.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Ron. I just ordered that bleeder. Unfortunately I will have to spend more money to get the adapter for our Explorer. Last time I looked into the pressure bleeder, the prices were out of my budget range. It seems as if the costs have come down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts