Bleeding Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to change a caliper. No matter how many times I bleed it, (manually), I couldn't get a good pedal. Still soft & mushy.

Finally had to give in and take it to the dealer. They'll flush the ABS unit, and all 4 wheels.

How much does the tech II cost to activate the ABS unit ??

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Tech II's on ebay for anywhere between $325 to $350. Make sure you get the latest software update version of 33.004

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like a silly question, but it happened to me last year after 30 years of doing my own brakes....

Did you install the correct side caliper? A right caliper on the left side may physically fit, but the bleed screw will be on the bottom and you will never get the air out.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It seems like a silly question, but it happened to me last year after 30 years of doing my own brakes....

Did you install the correct side caliper? A right caliper on the left side may physically fit, but the bleed screw will be on the bottom and you will never get the air out.

Yea, I saw rookie techs and shadetree mechanics do that. Part of my job as service manager was hiring a new tech, qualified or a rookie, and helping bring along the rookie and also assigning him to a qualified tech as his helper to learn the proper way for repairs. I saw lots of ASE certified techs that could not tighten a hose clamp correctly.

OP
OP
T

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bleeder screw definitely up top. Feel bad to give the dealer $220 for a brake fluid flush after doing my own caliper, but I don't have a lift. 80,000 miles on the fluid, I can't complain. It's long over due.

I have never seen a caliper seize up so badly. 1 piston came out, the other piston is frozen solid into the caliper. No amount of air pressure could blow it free.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That typically happens because of not flushing the brake fluid after moisture has built up in the fluid over time. The brake fluid does absorb moisture and gets darker and if not flushed it will wreck havoc with the inside of the brake system. You may not be done replacing parts.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the blur/Denali, what yr etc is your vehicle?

Last summer I replaced the rear calipers, hoses, rotors, and pads. Easy peasy, I did it the same old school way that I've been doing it for the last 45 yrs.

I have all the parts to do the fronts, but they still have a little life left in them.

Whenever I do an oil/filter change, I use a large syringe and suck as much old brake fluid and PS fluid out, and replenish with new.

OP
OP
T

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whenever I do an oil/filter change, I use a large syringe and suck as much old brake fluid and PS fluid out, and replenish with new.

That does nothing unless you move brake fluid through the system. And the only way to do that is bleed..

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does nothing unless you move brake fluid through the system. And the only way to do that is bleed..
Bleeding provides instant results.
But everytime the brake pedal is moved(normal braking) brake fluid comes and goes from the reservoir, mixing old and new when done the way I described. So eventually some of that new makes its way thru out the whole system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons