Bleeding Brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're bleeding (the brakes, LOL) you should consider upgrading to DOT4 fluid.

OP
OP
T

the blur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everytime the brake pedal is moved(normal braking) brake fluid comes and goes from the reservoir, mixing old and new when done the way I described. So eventually some of that new makes its way thru out the whole system.

Incorrect. The amount of brake fluid movement is nil. Have someone step on your brakes, and watch the reservoir. You will never see a change. There is no recirculation of brake fluid. The fluid in the caliper stays in the caliper. The fluid in the hoses, stay in the hoses. The only thing you will notice.. as the pads wear, the amount of fluid in the reservoir will decrease slightly. Ever so slightly...

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Incorrect. The amount of brake fluid movement is nil. Have someone step on your brakes, and watch the reservoir. You will never see a change. There is no recirculation of brake fluid. The fluid in the caliper stays in the caliper. The fluid in the hoses, stay in the hoses. The only thing you will notice.. as the pads wear, the amount of fluid in the reservoir will decrease slightly. Ever so slightly...
Exactly. It’s a closed system with no loop. No fluid changes place unless you bleed them so you open up the other end of the line and it can flow from one end of the system to the other.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I' not admitting I'm wrong, but certainly bleeding the brakes IS better. I'll start bleeding my brakes at every other tire rotation. I ordered a brake bleeding kit.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
OK, I' not admitting I'm wrong, but certainly bleeding the brakes IS better. I'll start bleeding my brakes at every other tire rotation. I ordered a brake bleeding kit.

What brake bleed kit did you get and is it universal for all vehicles?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend the Motive if you want something that is simple and easy. It’s not the cheapest for sure but I’ll never use anything else. You fill it with up to 2 quarts of fluid, replace the lid on your master cylinder with the one connected to the Motive tank, pump it up with the hand pump to the recommended pressure and that’s it. It pressurizes your brake system and refills the master as you bleed the brakes which is as easy as opening each bleeder and let the fluid or air flow out, going in the correct order of course. You can buy different master cylinder cap adapters for other vehicles. One works for all GM vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman