Best rear springs for 4-5" drop carrying huge stereo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truck doesn’t sit quite as low as I’d like, however after exploring Lower ride heights, I learned where it’s at now is as low as I can go “comfortably”

around town, truck drives decent. Potholes / series of dips or bumps cause a lot of bumpsteer. Large potholes are violent. Feels like a bend a rim every time. Doesn’t slam the frame but it takes bumps very harsh.

on the highway. 50-60mph is fine, pretty smooth. 70-80 I develop a sway or “looseness” especially over bumps or changes in the road. The bumps cause the truck to go up and down almost float. Reminds me of riding in a 1990’s Lincoln towncar. Sloppy, airy feeling. Feels “looser” than I’d prefer.
Sounds underdamped and/or undersprung. Probably why you liked cut stock springs better than aftermarket springs which are not really built to have a bunch of weight on them. Cut springs have a higher spring rate than uncut springs. I ran z78/tow springs cut down on my denali with air ride delete and that rode much better than stock springs.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Colby_e32

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds underdamped and/or undersprung. Probably why you liked cut stock springs better than aftermarket springs which are not really built to have a bunch of weight on them. Cut springs have a higher spring rate than uncut springs. I ran z78/tow springs cut down on my denali with air ride delete and that rode much better than stock springs.

I considered going to the junkyard, grabbing a set of coils from a 2500 Suburban, or Z71 tahoe, and cutting them down and seeing how they ride.

Any idea if those coils are any stiffer than a 1500 tahoe Coil?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I considered going to the junkyard, grabbing a set of coils from a 2500 Suburban, or Z71 tahoe, and cutting them down and seeing how they ride.

Any idea if those coils are any stiffer than a 1500 tahoe Coil?
1500 tahoe non z28 or autoride?

Edit z71...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Colby_e32

Colby_e32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tow package/z71 springs are taller and stiffer

so if my truck has a factory hitch, switching to a z71 spring would do nothing?

I’m wondering if a 2500 Burban has a stiffer spring than a 1500 tahoe. Seems like it would have to..