Best option for my transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are having a hard time repairing it because of finances.. look into paying for the transmission replacement on a credit card and then open a Discover IT credit card and transfer your debt to it. 18 months 0% interest. It's called a balance transfer card and I just did the same thing, moved $8k worth of debt from my Capitol One credit card @ 11% APR to the Discover card with 0%.

This will be a lot cheaper than a new car.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What if you had the tranny replaced, and it didn't cure the issue? Why condemn it if the problem hasn't been diagnosed?

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if you had the tranny replaced, and it didn't cure the issue? Why condemn it if the problem hasn't been diagnosed?
I guess I don’t know which is why I want to trade down for a CRV for less $ and less miles. I’m not sure what else it would be if it’s not the trans.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I can’t get the CRV for some reason, I guess I can save up and take it to the local Chevy dealership for a proper diagnosis. But that’s a little Spendy I’m sure, but that brings me back to the why am I even in a Tahoe conversation Haha

Reaction score
never said it was diagnosed.
So then go get it diagnosed and let us know what the shop says (if you want) instead of going around in circles in thread after thread over and over on the internet. You've been given the best advice you're going to get by multiple members in multiple threads though I suspect everyone including me has been wasting our time.

Unless all those issues/symptoms have all truely been figments of your imagination then you need a transmission.

But don't take my word for it - take it to a shop so they can diagnose it. If you've already gone to a shop and they told you nothing's wrong with it then there's no need to keep starting theads over nothing. No need to discuss taking out loans to fix it. Just keep driving it until you can either sell it for that CRV you want or the trans, engine or some other major part fails and then its off to either Cash for Clunkers or the scrap yard. If you keep up with maintenance, you will get plenty of life out of it before that happens.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Working off the raw data and facts is a lot more interesting and helpful. Even if you go to Kragen or AutoZone to have them pull some codes for you, start there. Speculation is expensive in financial matters.

Would it be a good idea to see if there’s a failed shift solenoid or loose / worn harness connector on the trans? You really need to find a good Indi mechanic. Go to a shop that works on GM diesel trucks. They love working on 1/2 ton gas trucks because they’re built like an old Chevy luv pick up compared to a 3/4 or 1 ton they usually wrench on.

Keep in mind there’s still random supply chain issues on newer vehicles. Compare your equity loss in swapping vehicles. The milage factor makes sense but future repairs on an unfamiliar vehicle may bite you again. What if the person trading in the vehicle you just bought did so because it had a hidden trans problem too?

Get it scanned.

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So then go get it diagnosed and let us know what the shop says (if you want) instead of going around in circles in thread after thread over and over on the internet. You've been given the best advice you're going to get by multiple members in multiple threads though I suspect everyone including me has been wasting our time.

Unless all those issues/symptoms have all truely been figments of your imagination then you need a transmission.

But don't take my word for it - take it to a shop so they can diagnose it. If you've already gone to a shop and they told you nothing's wrong with it then there's no need to keep starting theads over nothing. No need to discuss taking out loans to fix it. Just keep driving it until you can either sell it for that CRV you want or the trans, engine or some other major part fails and then its off to either Cash for Clunkers or the scrap yard. If you keep up with maintenance, you will get plenty of life out of it before that happens.
Working off the raw data and facts is a lot more interesting and helpful. Even if you go to Kragen or AutoZone to have them pull some codes for you, start there. Speculation is expensive in financial matters.

Would it be a good idea to see if there’s a failed shift solenoid or loose / worn harness connector on the trans? You really need to find a good Indi mechanic. Go to a shop that works on GM diesel trucks. They love working on 1/2 ton gas trucks because they’re built like an old Chevy luv pick up compared to a 3/4 or 1 ton they usually wrench on.

Keep in mind there’s still random supply chain issues on newer vehicles. Compare your equity loss in swapping vehicles. The milage factor makes sense but future repairs on an unfamiliar vehicle may bite you again. What if the person trading in the vehicle you just bought did so because it had a hidden trans problem too?

Get it scanned.
I have a scanner. No codes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues