Belltech VS McGaughys drop kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Paint by Scrappy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Whats up everyone. I got some new 22’s (KMC 704) for the wife’s ‘07 Tahoe. Now she wants to drop it. I’ve been lookin at a 3-4 to 4-5 drop kit for it. I have 285/45/22 on it. I’ve been lookin at the bell tech kits Tony sells but I’ve also been lookin at the McGaughys drop kits. Just wondering if any one could give pros and cons on both kits. Tahoe needs new shocks and struts so lookin at kits with new struts and shocks as well. Thanks for your time guys. 75847C72-A544-468D-BA54-A1DE76A01D66.jpeg

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both are good. Are you doing the free travel mod? I can attest that Tony is easy to reach for help but McGaughy may be the same. 4-5 is a big drop. Do your homework on that one.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't really speak of one vs the other as I haven't had both, but I recently put on a McGaughy's 2/3-4 drop and am happy with it. Rides just as good or better than stock.

A couple of things that are different about the McGaughy's drop spindles vs the Belltech:

1. The mounting surface for the upper & lower balljoints are recessed into the spindle. So this reduces or eliminates having to trim the ball joint studs for either wheel or 4wd/awd axle clearance.
2. The top hub mount. On the Belltech, you still have a pass through hole that you re-use the factory bolt for. You just have to insert it before installing the upper ball joint. On the McGaughy's you don't re-use the factory bolt. It comes with a stud and nut you use. Not saying one is better than the other. Just point out the differences I'm aware of.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up everyone. I got some new 22’s (KMC 704) for the wife’s ‘07 Tahoe. Now she wants to drop it. I’ve been lookin at a 3-4 to 4-5 drop kit for it. I have 285/45/22 on it. I’ve been lookin at the bell tech kits Tony sells but I’ve also been lookin at the McGaughys drop kits. Just wondering if any one could give pros and cons on both kits. Tahoe needs new shocks and struts so lookin at kits with new struts and shocks as well. Thanks for your time guys. View attachment 224468

I'm planning pretty much the same drop and have all my main parts. I have the McG spindles. I have nothing against the BT spindles, but chose McG because they're liked by GM. Mine needs new struts and shocks as well, so I went with BT Street Performance adjustable lowering struts for the front and matching SP shocks for the rear. From what I've read, the SP shocks and struts ride just like stock or a little softer. I have 3" McG coils for the rear and some "mystery" coils that I'm guessing will drop it around 5". If it's too soft, I have some Airlift bags I'll add in to firm it up as needed, even when towing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Paint by Scrappy

Paint by Scrappy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm planning pretty much the same drop and have all my main parts. I have the McG spindles. I have nothing against the BT spindles, but chose McG because they're liked by GM. Mine needed new struts and shocks as well, so I went with BT Street Performance adjustable lowering struts for the front and matching SP shocks for the rear. From what I've read, teh SP shocks and struts ride just like stock or a little softer. I have 3" McG coils for the rear and some "mystery" coils that I'm guessing will drop it around 5". If it's too soft, I have some Airlift bags I'll add in to firm it up as needed, even when towing.
Nice thanks for the info. I found a complete McGaughys drop kit with rear shocks and front struts it’s a 3/5 4/5 drop kit.

OP
OP
Paint by Scrappy

Paint by Scrappy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can't really speak of one vs the other as I haven't had both, but I recently put on a McGaughy's 2/3-4 drop and am happy with it. Rides just as good or better than stock.

A couple of things that are different about the McGaughy's drop spindles vs the Belltech:

1. The mounting surface for the upper & lower balljoints are recessed into the spindle. So this reduces or eliminates having to trim the ball joint studs for either wheel or 4wd/awd axle clearance.
2. The top hub mount. On the Belltech, you still have a pass through hole that you re-use the factory bolt for. You just have to insert it before installing the upper ball joint. On the McGaughy's you don't re-use the factory bolt. It comes with a stud and nut you use. Not saying one is better than the other. Just point out the differences I'm aware of.
Good to know. Thanks for the info. Ill keep that in mind when I make my decision

OP
OP
Paint by Scrappy

Paint by Scrappy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Both are good. Are you doing the free travel mod? I can attest that Tony is easy to reach for help but McGaughy may be the same. 4-5 is a big drop. Do your homework on that one.
I have full access to a fab shop. I can cut and weld what i need to to make it happen. Stupid bump stops. They gotta go. lol.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have full access to a fab shop. I can cut and weld what i need to to make it happen. Stupid bump stops. They gotta go. lol.

With that drop, all that's needed for clearancing is to remove the bump stops and their brackets from the frame and maybe the fender mod in the front if it rubs (likely will). Oh- you may have to notch the rear cross member if the panhard bracket hits it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy