Battery Acts Dead but tests Good

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Silent D

Silent D

Reaction score
Could be. Next time it won't start, smack on the starter with a hammer while someone tries cranking it.

It doesn't act like a bad stater. Especially since it fires right up with a jump and showing low bus. I'll give it a go if it happens again after cleaning the terminals and posts though.

ZACHBORIS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It doesn't act like a bad stater. Especially since it fires right up with a jump and showing low bus. I'll give it a go if it happens again after cleaning the terminals and posts though.
I am no mechanic but wont a bad alternator sometimes cause similar problems?

TahoeLTZ2012

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So just cleaned the terminals. There wasn't any corrosion but the terminals and posts did have like a tarnish covering them.

I used some sandpaper and got the terminals and posts nice and shiny. I'll see if that makes a difference over the next few days.

I put the battery tender back on it too, to ensure a nice full battery.
I believe some years had an issue with the cables and grounds. They looked clean on the outside, but if you cut open the terminal where the wire goes into the battery connector, there is corrosion. The voltage reads fine , but it limits the current. That when things start to not function properly.

OP
OP
Silent D

Silent D

Reaction score
I believe some years had an issue with the cables and grounds. They looked clean on the outside, but if you cut open the terminal where the wire goes into the battery connector, there is corrosion. The voltage reads fine , but it limits the current. That when things start to not function properly.

I looked up the The Big 3 mod and would like to do that but holly hell that cable is $500 a spool. I'd love to keep this Tahoe for a long time but I do have some rust cancer on the left rear fender that is bubbling under the pain and I can see a rust color on the Diamond White paint. I'm not sure if its worth repairing or trading in when I get the amount owed lower. I'm also having an issue with the driver's side blend door for the a/c, its only allowing hot air through and the passenger's side heated seat doesn't work anymore.

I love the look of the new Tahoes and would love to get one I just owe too much on mine right now to be able to trade in. Mine has 104,500 on it and runs perfect, when the battery issue lets it start anyhow lol.

OP
OP
Silent D

Silent D

Reaction score
No issues at all today. Hopefully cleaning the terminal and posts did the trick. Time will tell.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
No issues at all today. Hopefully cleaning the terminal and posts did the trick. Time will tell.

Removing the terminals from the battery to clean them probably broke up some the corrosion inside the cables to allow better transfer of current but my guess is it will return to its previous state.

For your sake I hope I am wrong but there have been WAY to many of these trucks with the same issue and it is the cables 99% of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10