Ball Joint Press recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I've been bit by make the front end smooth bug. Going to be purchasing new upper control arms and I'm going to replace the lower control arm ball joints.

I don't have a ball joint press currently and need to get one for the job so wondering which one is the sure thing to get the job done on my 2009 Yukon Denali? There are a bazillion on Amazon & eBay and don't want to pull everything apart to realize my press won't work.

Thanks.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
When I did mine I went with Moog UCAs and Moog lower BJs. Rather than buy a tool that gets used once in a blue moon I just borrowed/rented the ball joint press from the parts house.

Just be sure and get the right LBJs for your control arms whether they are steel or aluminum as the ball joints are different.

OP
OP
al2fast

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I bought, Moog UCA and Moog lower ball joints. Double checked with my magnet, definitely steel lower control arms. Moog tie rod ends in the package too. Gotta order up that monster 36mm socket for the axle nut yet...

Guess I didn't contemplate renting the tool, I'll have to call the O'Reilley's/Autozone and see if they rent them here. I live in a little podunk city right now so if it isn't here it's a 25 minute drive to a city where I can get it. For $50 I'd just buy the press even if I don't use it again for 10 years, such a savings vs paying someone or buying new lower control arms.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
That is exactly what I bought, Moog UCA and Moog lower ball joints. Double checked with my magnet, definitely steel lower control arms. Moog tie rod ends in the package too. Gotta order up that monster 36mm socket for the axle nut yet...

Guess I didn't contemplate renting the tool, I'll have to call the O'Reilley's/Autozone and see if they rent them here. I live in a little podunk city right now so if it isn't here it's a 25 minute drive to a city where I can get it. For $50 I'd just buy the press even if I don't use it again for 10 years, such a savings vs paying someone or buying new lower control arms.

Check that 36 and make sure it's not 35. The OEM nut is 35. The aftermarket is 36. You're not really supposed to reuse them (I did), but you might end up needing both sockets. HF has a ball joint kit (Maddox) coupon right now for $60.

OP
OP
al2fast

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check that 36 and make sure it's not 35. The OEM nut is 35. The aftermarket is 36. You're not really supposed to reuse them (I did), but you might end up needing both sockets. HF has a ball joint kit (Maddox) coupon right now for $60.

Thank you, I've never changed it. As far as I know stock hub and bearings yet so then it surely is the 35. I'll add stopping at the stealership to grab some nuts:eek::eek: and confirm the size. I don't want my front end falling apart at 75mph!!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Thank you, I've never changed it. As far as I know stock hub and bearings yet so then it surely is the 35. I'll add stopping at the stealership to grab some nuts:eek::eek: and confirm the size. I don't want my front end falling apart at 75mph!!

Let us know what you find. There are some mixed reports on this one.

OP
OP
al2fast

al2fast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the nuts from the dealership, OEM part number 11609826, definitely 36mm. I already had a 36mm socket and it fits and I also measured it (albeit with a ruler) and it was 36mm. Hopefully I can get all of this stuff installed this week. I ended up purchasing the $50 ABN ball joint press from Amazon. Just gotta find all of my torque specs together and I'm ready to rock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz