Bad fuel gauge and Torque Pro app

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newbie78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We all know lots of these trucks have problems with the fuel gauge and mine is do different. My gauge bounces back and forth from 1/4 to over full.

My question is...the Torque Pro app tells you how much fuel is in your tank. Will that be pretty accurate? I don't have the app yet.

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
it's not broken. there is no baffle in the tank to stop the gas from sloshing around from front to back

OP
OP
N

newbie78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's not broken. there is no baffle in the tank to stop the gas from sloshing around from front to back

Not what I asked. Also it's broken when I don't know how much gas is in my tank.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good question. I've got the Torque app but haven't checked the fuel level data. If no one else gets back to you, I'll give it a try when it's out of the shop tomorrow. My gas gauge works so I'll be able to tell you how Torque does.

The avg mpg and instant mpg seem to be very good. Not that that helps at all :)

---------- Post added at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

One other thing to note - the app has a couple GM specific data packs (I think that's what they're called) that you have to enable to read some of the data. I couldn't get the transmission temp until I turned on one of them.

Asfalto

Reaction score
Very intersting! let us know BirchyBoy!! I really need to know how much gas is in my tank!!
Do you know if it works on a '98 too?

Another question: where does the signal to the fuel gauge come from? from the tank or from the VCM?

Thanks

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do. Where it comes from is black magic :)

All I know is I plug in my OBDII adaptor, go through a few frustrating steps, and ****! it's there!

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
on 98-2000 vehicles the gas gauge sender sends the signal thru the pcm first for emissions purposes mainly before sending the signal to the gauge itself. It is likely tho that the signal will not be available for external readers.

BirchyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked mine yesterday and the level is not one of the points that can be read. There are a few others, such as fuel usage, but not the level.

evil_e

Reaction score
I was told it's the float inside the fuel pump that is what goes bad. But mp pump primes and sends just fine. so I do the ole' tripmeter deal. Then I round down on how ever many gallons I get. plus I average at my city MPG and took in account im running 22s'....so far so good. It's a $2 part broke inside of a functioning $300 part......well played GM...well played.

largewon62

Reaction score
I have a 97 Yukon that the fuel gauge flutters wildly and spins around and gets stuck on my oil pressure gauge needle. Is this what yours does?

Would the trick of putting rc gear lube in the gauge work for 97's?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jr9688

Latest posts