Fuel Pump or Something Else

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samsun83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. About a year ago I change the fuel filter and fuel pump assembly and after a while i noticed that the vehicle would act like it had no fuel when the fuel gauge hit quarter of a tank. I didn't think much of and just made sure to put gas in before the quarter tank mark. Now it doing the same thing but now it's when my gauge is at half a tank. At first i thought it was the gauge was reading wrong so when i went to refuel i watch how many gallons it was taking to get to a full tank and it was getting full after 16 to 17 gallons of fuel. I have a stock tank and I know they com with 26 gallon tanks so that means there is 9 to 10 gallons no being pump into the fuel line. Any ideas what could be the problem.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to TYF! Moved you here from the General Discussion section.

Which engine? Flex Fuel or Gas only? I ask only because the fuel pump modules are different.

What brand and model # of fuel pump was installed? Likely the float mechanism on the fuel pump is highly inaccurate, would be my WAG.

With a scan tool look at live data and monitor the fuel level that is being reported. That might tell you what you need to know.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Why was the pump replaced in the first place? Then you said the new pump ACTED like no fuel when was at 1/4 tank. Now is reading different with the same feeling. Two problems? Acting like running out of fuel? Is that the "acting part"? and is reading wrong. Start with what @Fless said. Which pump is in the tank?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving clarifying questions from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts