Fuel Sending Unit/Gauge - SOLVED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, exhausted my troubleshooting with tank installed on truck. Going to drop it and continue from there. However, I did order another fuel pump assembly so I will have it on hand.
My experience isn't as drastic in level changes as yours but my fuel gauge about half the time does not track accurately. It is slightly off, and sometimes drifts to correct over time. I had my fuel pump replaced 11 yrs ago and I plan on replacing it again this year as a preventative measure, I saw rock auto had a delphi pump with an 'oe fix' which I believe addresses an issue with the float

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some random and crazy numbers/readings. So like I said in my last post, for whatever reason my scan tool reads that the fuel tank capacity is 21.6 gallons, i know that is incorrect. When my gauge indicated full the volts were 2.90 and the indications for fuel level remaining 21.6 gallons. When the gauge indicated slightly less than full (between 3/4 full and full) I had 1.84 volts and 17.4 gallons remaining. When gauge indicated slightly less than 3/4 tank, I had 1.92 volts and 15.1 gallons remaining. Closer to half a tank - 2.02 volts and 12.9 gallons remaining (at 60% fuel tank remaining).
Are you using an app like Torque and an OBDII adapter? That one I know asks for the tank size and it may have a default number. A Tech-2 should read it correctly.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My experience isn't as drastic in level changes as yours but my fuel gauge about half the time does not track accurately. It is slightly off, and sometimes drifts to correct over time. I had my fuel pump replaced 11 yrs ago and I plan on replacing it again this year as a preventative measure, I saw rock auto had a delphi pump with an 'oe fix' which I believe addresses an issue with the float
I went with the delphi pump this time. It was delivered yesterday.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you using an app like Torque and an OBDII adapter? That one I know asks for the tank size and it may have a default number. A Tech-2 should read it correctly.
I essentially work on all of ours and my kid's vehicles. As of today that's 8 different makes/models. So, I'm using a XTOOL bidirectional scanner which allows me to utilize the features on all these vehicles. Never thought to look to see if I could input the tank size. Will check and see if that is possible. Although, each time I fire this thing up, I learn something new. I also have an OBDII and utilize dash command.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like the weather has warmed up and rainy this weekend. So I'm going to get to dropping the tank. Some final wire checks and then changing out the fuel pump. Prep work today after work (raising vehicle and such) then complete the work on Saturday.

OP
OP
RAMurphy

RAMurphy

Bob
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tank dropped. Cannon plugs and wiring all looked good. did a little troubleshooting with the wires. Could not find an issue. Removed retention ring and pulled fuel pump. Think I found the problem. Sending unit where float attaches to the unit is extremely loose and a metallic piece in only partially attached. I will try to get a good picture and provide it. New pump installed. Will complete this job tomorrow.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be curious if the loose item is something that snaps in or screws on, or just wasn't installed properly (if it's an actual separate piece). Or maybe it's just broken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019