Back from the dead 2007 Tahoe 2wd LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it's just thick plastic. It's not really a skid plate as much as a shield. I'm not sure about the z71 Tahoes but I think they're plastic too. They crack at the four bolts and mine was just barely hanging on.
I was thinking I had an aluminum one bookmarked but nope. The PPV and SSV models have 2 separate aluminum skid plates. They work great for catching and trapping 10mm sockets it hard to reach places.

OP
OP
Leevon

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking I had an aluminum one bookmarked but nope. The PPV and SSV models have 2 separate aluminum skid plates. They work great for catching and trapping 10mm sockets it hard to reach places.

Haha, if there is a place to drop something under a car and lose your mind for an hour looking for it, I will find it! I'll have to keep my eyes open for the aluminum plates.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are some of the exterior parts I have ordered. The underbody shield is already on, the old one was shot. Short term; planning to remove the roof rack and door trim, replace headlights, door handles and front bowtie, plus a two-stage paint correction. The door handles are all peeling, but I found all four bermuda blue take-offs on Ebay. Oddly I also found a full set of bermuda blue door trim so I am considering replacing it maybe. Interestingly when I bought it I thought the wheels were roached. But when I got a closer look, they look like new painted silver reproduction 20's just with nasty old caps. So that's a bonus.

View attachment 267597 View attachment 267598 View attachment 267599 View attachment 267600 View attachment 267601

Great thread and resurrection!!! Love the work you are doing here saving the old girl. :)

Where did you get your steering wheel and Bowtie badge?

You can step up a heat range on the plugs to help keep them cleaner longer and add a catch can. Then updated valve cover if it doesn't have it. Also very possible the VLOM gaskets start to weep on these from loose bolts at that high mileage.

Also maybe invest in a Range AFM device? She really does look good for the mileage on here especially under the motor mine looks like it was pulled out of an oil well. :/

OP
OP
Leevon

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP
OP
Leevon

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great thread and resurrection!!! Love the work you are doing here saving the old girl. :)

Where did you get your steering wheel and Bowtie badge?

You can step up a heat range on the plugs to help keep them cleaner longer and add a catch can. Then updated valve cover if it doesn't have it. Also very possible the VLOM gaskets start to weep on these from loose bolts at that high mileage.

Also maybe invest in a Range AFM device? She really does look good for the mileage on here especially under the motor mine looks like it was pulled out of an oil well. :/

Thanks man! I have a dealer parts account and searched by VIN for the correct steering wheel, which is currently unavailable (black trim). But I know from experience that other years will work, so I found the part number for 2008 Z71 (silver trim) and ordered it. Around $175. The airbag emblem is from Ebay about $13.

I hadn't thought about a catch can or hotter plugs, normally not a catch can fan but that's a great point to avoid hassle of constantly changing plus. We have some customers who come in once every few months for one or two plugs and keep going forever lol. Next week I'm going to do the oil pressure sending unit and VC gaskets, probably the VLOM gaskets while I'm there. I considered doing DOD delete and cam but with the mileage on her and probable ring wear I think just keeping it going is the goal for now. If she's drinking oil bad might have to re-evaluate. Fortunately one of my techs is an experienced tuner but we haven't had anything to tune yet so this will be the test. I definitely will turn of AFM. Longer term once my son is done with the truck I'd like to do a cam, heads, long tube etc rebuild.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
the upholstery stapler will make that job worlds easier. i tried using just my regular air stapler to redo the console cover in my wifes car and it was so damn terrible haha.
I've used hot glue held with clips and regular staples. Pita but it works.

OP
OP
Leevon

Leevon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a big day on the interior. I was able to remove the seats, console and carpet and deep clean. It was NASTY. The carpet cleaned up well after a water-only power wash. The headliner also cleaned up well, I used a microfiber lightly sprayed with all purpose cleaner. It had more spots than I'm used to but it cleaned up 99% also, very happy. I cleaned and dressed the door seals, dash and interior panels and started on the door panels. I also got the seat bottom done, but I have some work to do on the back. I'll update with seat repairs next and I have a stack or parts including the new steering wheel that delivered yesterday. I bought it last Saturday, so after five days I'd say the previous owner would be shocked lol.

IMG_5297.jpg IMG_5294.jpg IMG_5313.jpg IMG_5311.jpg IMG_5312.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo